Lecture 3b.docx

10 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 2800
Professor
Amanda Helleman

This preview shows pages 1-2 and half of page 3. Sign up to view the full 10 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Lecture 3b *final+ Stroke • Risk factors: Age • Stroke: An interruption of blood flow either from the blockage of a blood vessel or from bleeding of a vessel • Ischemia – Lack of blood to the brain as a result of stroke. Blood important to nourish brain. – Sets off a cascade of cellular events that cause the real damage to the initial site (where blood vessels feeding onto) and surrounding areas – Change gene expression, protein expression, inflammation, lot of recovery early on • Diaschisis – Neural shock that follows brain damage in which areas connected to the site of damage show temporary arrest of function – Not initial stroke region but associated regions? – Stroke - Treatment • Administer anti-clot drugs – E.g., t-PA (tissue plasminogen activator) – Prevent further incidents of stroke – Must be administered within 3 h of stroke! So need to get to hospital right away. • Neuroprotectants – Drug used to try to block the cascade of post stroke neural events – No good ones available yet • Behavioral therapies (e.g., speech or physical) are often used to facilitate plastic changes in the brain following a stroke • Force bad side of body into use Epilepsy • Recurrent seizures accompanied by loss of consciousness • Symptomatic Seizure – Identified with a specific cause, such as infection, trauma, tumor, vascular formation, toxic chemicals, very high fever, or other neurological disorders • Idiopathic Seizure – Appears spontaneously and in the absence of other diseases of the central nervous system – A variety of factors may precipitate a seizure: Stress, fatigue, alcohol – Epilepsy • Three common symptoms of seizures – An aura, or warning of impending seizure – a sensation (odor – “burnt toast” or noise) or a “feeling”. Feel like something is off. – Dogs trained to detect these aura’s, even before person does and guides person to safe place – Loss of consciousness often followed by a period of amnesia that can include the seizure itself – A motor component that can vary in severity from shaking to automatic movements such as hand-rubbing or chewing Two Types of Epileptic Seizures 1. Focal Seizure – Category of seizure that begins locally (at a focus) and then spreads out to adjacent areas – Start focused area of brain (somatosensory motor areas) – “Jacksonian march”: Seizure is neuron firing randomly without input. Start one part then spreads out • Complex Partial Seizure – Type of focal seizure – Originate mostly in the temporal lobe – Not necessarily accompanied by loss of consciousness – Characterized by: • Subjective experiences that presage the attack (e.g., hallucinations so visual cortex firing to produce image not thee) • Automatisms or repetitive stereotyped movements (e.g., lip smacking • Postural changes (e.g., catatonic or frozen posture) 2. Generalized Seizures • Lack focal onset; occur on both sides of the body. Focal start on one hemisphere. – Grand mal Seizure (big bad) • Characterized by loss of consciousness and stereotyped motor activity; 3 stages: – tonic stage: body stiffens and breathing stops – clonic stage: rhythmic shaking – Postictal depression: post seizure state of confusion, can see brain wave activity changed on a EEG – Petit mal Seizure • Of brief duration, characterized by loss of awareness with no motor activity except for blinking, turning the head, or rolling the eyes • Common in children • Past interpreted in possession by devil Epilepsy: Treatment • Anticonvulsant medications – Examples: diphenylhydantoin or phenobarbital. Lower activity of CNS (seizure thought to be over excitation of CNS). GABA is main inhibitor. – Work by stabilizing the neuronal membrane, especially inhibitory neurons • Surgical removal of the abnormal tissue that is the focus of the seizures is sometimes performed in severe cases, can affect circuitry of brain (ex: HM) Multiple Sclerosis • Disease characterized by a loss of myelin, largely in the motor tracts but also sensory nerves • Relapses and remissions (not symptomatic) are common, can also have chronic MS • Brain imaging reveals discrete lesions, showing areas of damage • Cause is unknown, but proposed causes include: bacterial infection, a virus, environmental factors (e.g., pesticides), and an immune response of the central nervous system (most accepted, auto immune disorder) • Body sees myelin as invader and breaks it down. Drugs targeted to slow down immune system to slow down this breakdown. Dementia • Acquired and persistent syndrome of intellectual impairment • Diagnostic features (according to DSM): – Memory and other cognitive deficits and – Impairment in social and occupational functioning • Two broad categories: – Non-degenerative dementias are a heterogeneous group of disorders with diverse etiologies. Not caused by degenerative causes • E.g., vascular dementia (some blood vessels/ arteries not working), Korsakoffs – Degenerative dementias are presumed to have a degree of genetic transmission • E.g., Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, Huntington's . Usually don’t show symptoms until 70% of neurons have dies off. Parkinson’s Disease • Related to the degeneration of the substantia nigra (pathway involved in motor control) and to the loss of the neurotransmitter dopamine • Despite a common site of damage, symptoms vary enormously among people • More than 1 way to get Parkinsons • Many symptoms resemble the changes in motor activity that take place as a normal consequence of aging • Positive (increased incidence, symptoms that appear) Symptoms – Tremor at rest – Muscular rigidity (increased muscle tone) – Involuntary movements • Akathesia : Small, involuntary movements or changes in posture; motor restlessness • Occulogyric crisis: involuntary turns of the head and eyes to one side. Problems with vision. – Negative Symptoms (loss of behaviors) – Disorders of postures(fixation and equilibrium) – Disorders of righting(e.g., standing up) – Disorders of locomotion • Festination : tendency to engage in a behavior, such as walking, at faster and faster speeds – Speech disturbances (e.g., prosity 9tone of voice)) – Akinesia (poverty or slowness of movement Parkinson’s Disease: Causes • Loss of cells in the substantia nigra, which may be caused by diseases such as encephalitis, syphillis, drugs (e.g., MPTP), or unknown causes – Environmental pollutants? Insecticides? – Increasing incidence among individuals <40…suggests environmental toxins Parkinson’s Disease: Treatment • Behavioral therapy – Example: physical therapy is often helpful but limited success • Pharmacological – Increase levels of dopamine (e.g., dopamine agonists such as L-dopa drug) – Suppress the activity of structures that show heightened activity in the absence of adequate dopamine action (e.g., anticholinergic drugs). • Surgical – Electrical stimulation or lesioning of the internal global pallidus reduces rigidity and tremor – Basal ganglia important in movement • Transplantation – Transplant embryonic dopamine-producing cells or multipotential stem cells into the basal ganglia – Highly experimental, limited success Alzheimer’s Disease • Approximately
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1-2 and half of page 3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit