Psychology
Course
PSYC 3604
Professor
Chris Motz
Semester
Winter

Description
PSYC 3604 – February 10 , 2017 Lecture 6 – Mood Disorders & Bipolar Disorders (Chapter 8) Mood Disorders  Mood, just like anxiety, undergo fluctuations. o It becomes a disorder when the fluctuation in mood becomes extreme. o Prolonged enough to seriously disrupt life. o Includes both the sadness of depression and the irritability of mania.  Five or more of the following nine symptoms must be presented during the same two- week period and represent a change from previous functioning. o Symptoms cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social or occupational functioning. o At least one of the 5 symptoms have to be one of the two  Loss of interest/pleasure  Depressed mood  Major Depressive Episode a. Depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day. a.i. Indicated by subjective reports, or observations made by others a.ii. In children/adolescents, this can be irritable mood b. Markedly diminished interest or pleasure in all, or almost all, activities most of the day, nearly every day (subjective report or observation). c. Significant Weight Loss (without dieting) or gain c.i. Decrease or increase in appetite nearly every day. d. Insomnia or hypersomnia e. Psychomotor agitation/retardation – excess/decrease of motor activity f. Fatigue g. Feelings of worthlessness or excessive h. Diminished ability to think/concentrate i. Recurrent thoughts of death, suicidal ideation without a specific plan or attempts.  Persistent Depressive Disorders a. During a two-year period, the individual has never been without the preceding symptoms for more than 2 months at a time. b. Essential feature = chronic in the sense that is occurs for 2 years. c. During the 2-year period they present 2 or more of the following symptoms: c.i. Insomnia/hypersomnia c.ii. Under or over eating c.iii. Low energy c.iv. Poor concentration c.v. Low self esteem c.vi. Feeling of hopelessness d. Symptom free for more than 2 months? d.i. Clock is reset. d.ii. Criteria for major depressive disorder may be continuously present for 2 years. e. Symptoms are not better accounted for und
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 3604

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit