RELI 2732 Lecture 4: Lecture 4 Notes

7 Pages

Department
Religion
Course Code
RELI 2732
Professor
Angela Sumegi

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 7 pages of the document.
Description
Monday, January 30, 2017 Religion - Week 3: Jewish Perspectives Jewish Perspectives - Judaism is the oldest of the great monotheistic faiths. • Basic monotheistic creed: - Summed up in book of Deuteronomy: • Hear, O Israel: The Lord is our God, the Lord alone. • You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might. Keep these words that I am commanding you today in your heart. Recite them to your children and talk about them when you are at home and when you are away, when you lie down and when you rise. • Bind them as a sign on your hand, fix them as an emblem on your forehead, and write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates. - Bind them as a sign on your hand, fix them as an emblem on your forehead. - Torah is first 5 books of the Hebrew Bible - Many Jewish homes will have different shape containers that contain verses from the Torah. - People of Israel bound by a sacred covenant to God: “Now therefore, if you obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession out of all the peoples. Indeed the whole earth is mine, but you shall be for me a priestly kingdom and a holy nation.” - Real emphasis on the collective history of the people. To be a Jew is to be critically linked with the sequential serious of the events that constitute the history of the Jews and their origin as a people and all the events that befall them as a people. - Hebrew Bible begins with a narrative of creation, recounted in the first book, the book of Genesis. In the beginning . . . The earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep . . . And God said . . . “Let there be light” “Let the dry land appear.” “Let the earth put forth vegetation” 1 Monday, January 30, 2017 “Let the earth bring forth living creatures of every kind” “Let us make humankind in our image” And it was so. - God chooses one man, Abraham, to show people the right way to live. - Judaism founded on the Abrahamic Covenant: Now the Lord saidto Abram, “Go from your countryand your kindred and your father’s house to the land that I will show you. And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse; and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.” - The Age of the Patriarchs Abraham, Isaac, Jacob/Israel - Proposed route of the Patriarchs from Ur to Canaan and Egypt - Proposed route of the Israelites from Egypt into Canaan - Canaan is the land promised by God to Abraham. - Story of the Exodus of the Israelites from Egypt was dominated by Moses who was their leader. • In the Bible was a charismatic leader • In the Quran mentioned many more times than any other prophet • Exodus becomes a great metaphor for overcoming oppression, freedom. Celebrated in Jewish Passover. - After leaving Egypt, tribes wandered 40 years. Receives law of God on Mt. Sinai, the Torah. - God renews covenant at Mt. Sinai with entire community. Central symbols for Judaism. - Death of any particular individual will not disrupt the most important aspect of the religion, the covenant with God, because the group continues. - National catastrophe or disaster will be the worst. - Genocide affected the existence of a particular group and the existence of the relationship between God and humanity. - The Twelve tribes of Israel settled in Canaan. • Each tribe had its own tribal chieftain. • United in one kingdom and only lasted for 100 years. Ruled by Kings: Saul, David, Solomon. • Peak of early Israelite history. • House of David becoming recognized rulers of Israel, house of anointed one born, the Messiah. When Solomon dies, northern of Israel, and southern Judah. • • Northern conquered by assyrians. 2 Monday, January 30, 2017 • Souther kingdom conquered by Babylonians and Solomon’s temple destroyed. Leaders of the community exiled in Babylon. • Persians conquered Babylonians and allowed leaders to return home. Jewish Notions of Death and Afterlife - The creation story of Genesis: Then the Lord God formed man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and the man became a living being. • In early Biblical texts such as Genesis, Psalms or the book of Hob, which date prior to the Hellenistic period, the person is not regarded dualistically as soul and body, but a holistic composite of body and animating breath. • God’s breath animates the dust and it becomes a single living being. • Earlier biblical idea of death: When the person dies, body turns to dust and life breath returns to God who gave it. The identity of the person doesn’t entirely disappear. The dead person’s spirit remains as a kind of ghost, literally a dead breath or a dead being. That being goes to the place of the dead that the bible calls sheol. • Sheol in the Bible: - As the cloud fades and vanishes, so those who go down to Sheol do not come up; they return no more to their houses, nor do their places know them anymore. - The land of deepest gloom. - Place of no return and cut off from God. - Cosmos of early Hebrew tribes. Shared a world view with the surrounding Mesopotamia cultures. In terms of three levels, the upper, middle, and lower (the underworld called Sheol). • The sky Gods occupy the Heaven sphere (upper). • Ghosts of ancestors occupy Sheol. • Human beings lived in the middle, related to both worlds. Could be helped or harmed. - Bible also speaks of a peaceful death in old age in the end of a full and fruitful life but did not diminish idea of death as a final end. All gods blessings and rewards for the righteous were to be had in life and not after death. This life affirming emphasis is a very important aspect of Judaism until today. - Israelites shared this idea of the cosmos with surrounding cultures but difference in relating to it. Other people worshiped many gods. Surrounding cultures worshiped bothy sky and • underworlds gods. 3 Monday, January 30, 2017 • Hebrew tribes turned away from reliance on many gods and cult of the dead. Turned to only one god, sky god and of the living. Look to one god for help. • King Saul banned the practice of consulting with the dead in his kingdom. • Rejected by Israelites. - Corpse is not beautified, Cremation is practiced by some Jews but is not historically tradition way. Burial is the way. Sign of respect, body is always covered. Body is washed and placed in plain white cloth called shrouds. If the coffin used, plain wooden coffin, so last interference with return to earth. - Mourning crucial part of Judaism rituals. Mourners put a symbolic tear in their clothes to signify grief. The week following is the mourning period known as shevah. Mourners remain at home and do no bathe, wear same
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit