Religion
Course
RELI 2732
Professor
Angela Sumegi
Semester
Fall

Description
Notes Week 3 Jewish Burial Practices Tahara – the washing and purifying of the dead body, good dead, provide comfort for sole and care for body Process: Cleansing, purification, dressing Jewish Views of Afterlife  Afterlife is fundamental and a principle idea of their faith  Immortality is major belief of Judaism, it is also vague and ambiguous  Resurrection: A symbolic idea  Basic Jewish ideas: man does not achieve ultimate redemption by virtue of his own inherent nature, resurrection a private matter and a bonus for righteous individual (reward), physical resurrection affirms unequivocally that soul and body created by God and is a gift and belongs to Him  God is just and merciful, ties into resurrection  Life: rise and growth, middle years, decline. Grace, kindness and mercy  Belief that God is good and ethical and supports the falling, heal the sick, he is the great emancipator of man  Death is meaningless because life has no lasting meaning, if life has meaning then so does death The Shema (Sh'ma Yis'ra'eil) Deuteronomy 6:4-9 Hear, O Israel: The Lord is our God, the Lord alone. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might. Keep these words that I am commanding you today in your heart. Recite them to your children and talk about them when you are at home and when you are away, when you lie down and when you rise. Bind them as a sign on your hand, fix them as an emblem on your forehead, and write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates. Exodus 19: 4-6 “Now therefore, if you obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession out of all the peoples. Indeed the whole earth is mine, but you shall be for me a pr
More Less

Related notes for RELI 2732

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit