Religion
Course
RELI 2732
Professor
Angela Sumegi
Semester
Winter

Description
4th Class January3112 325 PM Judaism Historically Judaism is the oldest of the great monotheistic faiths The basic monotheistic creed is summed up in the book of Deuteronomy Deuteronomy 64 is known as the Shema This prayer along with the other the verses is called the Shema which is the first word in the prayermeans hear listen pay attentionONE of the most sacred words in the Jewish religion The Hebrew bible makes it clear thatGod holds the people of Israel equally exclusive to him bound by a sacred covenantExodus 1946Now therefore if you obey my voice and keep my covenant you shall be my treasured possession out of all the peoples Indeed the whole earth is mine but you shall be for me a priestly kingdom and a holy nation The feeling that comes across is very strong from both sides The side of the people who takes this god to be the one and only god and the part of this God who takes the people as his treasured possessionThere is a real sense of belonging and commitment on both sides Judaism is the most tied to history and historical eventsWhat it means to be a Jew is completely bound up with the sequential series of events that constitute the history of the Jews In other words the life story of the people As Prof said beforein order to understand our end we have to understand the beginningso The history of the Jews begins with the biblical narrative of creation that is recounted in the book of GenesisGenesis is the primeval history of the bible that is shared by Jews Christians and Muslims All this early history in the bible showed that people just couldnt get it right1 Adam and Eve are thrown out of paradise for their sin and disobedience2 Cane killed his brother Aballwickedness abounded Until finally God is sorry he ever created such a creature as manso he cleared the earth of all this wickedness to have a fresh start of one good man and his family So we have the story of NoA Arch the great floodeven then right after the flood there is the story of the King of Babylon trying to build a tower to reach heaven God confound the languages of man so the tower cannot be build In the end the only way the laws of God that could be fulfilled and honoured on earth is if God makes a binding agreement with one person or group of people who will be responsible for seeing that humanity remembers the words and law of God
More Less

Related notes for RELI 2732

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit