Sociology (1,023)
SOCI 1001 (233)

Lecture notes #3.pdf

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Carleton University
SOCI 1001
Michael Graydon

September 22, 2010 Lecture Notes #3 norms - established rules defining correct/proper behaviour; specific, clear: you know when you broke one -reflect of what society values at the time; therefore, norms can change Eg. Couples living together before marriage was unheard of; now its normal to do so deviance - any behaviour that breaks a social norm -how strongly the norm is valued decides how deviant it is -once labelled ʻdeviantʼ be portrayed as “dangerous” and be socially isolated Eg. At one time, tattoos, piercings, agnostic would be “deviant behaviour” agency - empowers your social practices -ability to act independently; free will Eg. Classroom; 20 reasonable rules... agency: you have the free will to choose all 20 of those -you can choose/not choose to act -always limited by social structures (social rules) -Agency+Structure=Social practice *free will within social rules structure - setting the walls/foundation to society Eg. Community, the bank, organized religion -professor and student have social structures but when i leave class, not the same structures as in the classroom *how much agency? how much structure? -shaping me Research Basics: Research question - arising from an observation Research answer - begins with a question
More Less

Related notes for SOCI 1001

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.