SOCI 1005 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Ascribed Status, General Position, Achieved Status

59 views4 pages

Document Summary

Social interaction- the ways in which people respond to one another. Social structure- the way in which a society is organized into predictable relationships. Status- a term used by sociologists to refer to any of the full range of socially defined positions within a large group or society. Ascribed status- a social position assigned to a person by society without regard for the persons unique talents or characteristics. Achieved status- a social position that is within our power to change. Master status- a status that do(cid:373)i(cid:374)ates othe(cid:396)s a(cid:374)d the(cid:396)e(cid:271)(cid:455) dete(cid:396)(cid:373)i(cid:374)es a pe(cid:396)so(cid:374)"s ge(cid:374)e(cid:396)al positio(cid:374) i(cid:374) so(cid:272)iet(cid:455). Social role- a set of expectations for people who occupy a given social position or status. Role conflict- the situation that occurs when incompaitable expectations arise from two or more social positions held by the same person. Role strain- the difficulty that arises when the same social positon imposed conflicting demands and expectations.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers