SOCI 2450 (114)
Lecture 3

Lecture 3 Police Service Act.docx

5 Pages
Unlock Document

Carleton University
SOCI 2450
Darryl Davies

Lecture 3 Role of police in society - Primary sources are the basis for doing research. The basis upon building a criminal case and there needs to be evidence that comes from a reliable source - We often ask what the role of the police is, as well as what their duties are. The duties/roles of the police are clearly set out in statute about what is expected of them, as well as what is not expected of them. - When they take an oath of office, they do not take an oath to the police force. (oath to tax payers, the Queen and the constitution) - The oath is : • I solemnly swear or affirm that I will be loyal to Her Majesty the Queen and to Canada, and that I will uphold the Constitution of Canada and that I will, to the best of my ability, preserve the peace, prevent offences and discharge my other duties as (insert name of office) faithfully, impartially and according to law.So help me God. Police Services Act - The primary functions/duties of the police under the Ontario Police Act are (not set out in any specific order): • Crime prevention (making speeches) • Law enforcement (making arrest, use of force, high speed chase) • Assistance to victims of crime • Public order maintenance • Emergency response - Percentage of time broken down of police duties (predicted by Professor Davies) • Crime prevention – 20% • Law enforcement – 16% • Assistance of victims to crime – 20% • Public order maintenance – 40% • Emergency response – 4% Police officers - Conduct duties within the letter of the law and it is imperative that they are educated >> We should tailor the training to match the reality of policing - Law of evidence: if you know evidentiary law, you will know how to proceed, what evidence you have, etc... and secure a conviction • Securing a crime scene, what rights individuals have and creating a case that will secure a conviction - Desk audit: snapshot of the functions that you perform discharging your responsibilities • Research shows that majority of the time police are dealing with order maintenance (ie. Loud party, argument. “reactive policing” not law enforcement related Job audit - The functions one performs disposing your job elements • Police are largely called for order maintenance • The majority of time spent by a police officer in uniform and on the job is order maintenance situations (called to a house because of loud noise; shots fired in the West end, etc.) and driving around to react to these situations (reactive prevention) Cover charges - These are used to cover up excessive use of force Stacey Bond case - Violated section 9 of the Charter • One of the first in which the judge censored the police publically for their conduct. She was carrying a container in which appeared to be booze through the market. She didn’t resist when they asked her for her name, and then she asked “why did you stop and question me” then she is thrown to the ground, arrested, strip searched, left half naked in the cell - On September 26, 2008, Stacey Bonds was in the Byward Market, carrying a container that was suspected to be alcohol. She was speaking to someone in a van, and when the van drives away, she throws the container into the garbage. Two police officers were out doing their rounds, and one of the officers decided to show the other “how policing is done in Ottawa”. They drive over to Stacey, and they ask her for her name, and ask to see her identification (which she complies to, without complaint or putting up a fight). She was let go by the police, they told her to go home. She turned around and asked why the officers had stopped her and questioned her. She was then thrown on the ground, arrested, strip searched and then thrown into a jail cell for four hours. She was arrested on the terms of public intoxication. There was no evidence that she was a threat to herself or to anyone else. In the police cruiser, Stacey was restrained by handcuffs. Throughout the whole ordeal, she was reported to never to have had a violent nature. One of the police officers was reporting as holding onto her left arm throughout the whole situation at the police station. At one point, she was noted as not being “100% compliant” and received two knees to the back, as well as having her hair pulled back and her head thrust forward by one of the officers. One of the officers took a pair of scissors and cut the back of her shirt and bra, which were removed before she was thrown into another cell. The officers tried to justify their actions by saying they were protecting themselves against officer brutality and assault, as well as supposedly trying to protect Stacey from suicide. At least four male officers were present for Stacey’s strip search, no female officer being present or performing the search. The judge ruled that this was “an indignity to a human being and should be denounced”. Stacey is suing the Ottawa Police Department for $1.2 million. - In another situation, a mother and her daughter were walking down the street in Ottawa and came across a man who was passed out on the street. They didn’t know if he was dead, or hurt, so they called the police. T
More Less

Related notes for SOCI 2450

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.