AHSC 314 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Peer Group, Preadolescence, Ambivalence

40 views8 pages

Document Summary

Some teens do experience serious emotional problems during adolescence. 30% of canadian teens express feeling sad or anxious sometimes, 10% of teens express lingering emotional difficulties beyond adolescence. The impact of puberty and changing expectations exacerbate the potential for problems. Our self-image is our ideas of who we are. Changes during puberty shake up our sense of personal continuity, which are the enduring ideas that remain constant throughout life: the self-concept becomes more complex and more differentiated. This is due to the development of abstract thinking: adolescents become capable of describing themselves from different perspectives, and in the context of different situations. Domains of self-esteem during childhood would include my clothing, my pets, my home and family. Domains during adolescence independence, my relationships include my personality, my: the domain of body image becomes critical during puberty. Self- esteem drops for both genders during puberty but then increases slowly throughout adolescence.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers