BIOL 225 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Signal Transduction, Etiolation, Plant Cell

135 views9 pages

Document Summary

I. e. a potato"s respo(cid:374)se to light: a potato gro(cid:449)i(cid:374)g i(cid:374) dark(cid:374)ess produ(cid:272)es shoots that look u(cid:374)health(cid:455) a(cid:374)d lacks elongated roots: morphological adaptions for growing in darkness collectively called etiolation. After exposure to light, a potato undergoes changes called de-etiolation, in which shoots and roots grow normally. Plants monitor only aspects of the environment that affect their ability to stay alive and reproduce. Receptor proteins change shape in response to a stimulus. This causes the information to change form; from external signal to intracellular signal: once the information has been transduced to an intracellular form, it travels down a signal transduction pathway. Involve the serial phosphorylation and activation of proteins: second messengers. Intracellular signals that are released upon hormone binding. Ca2+ functions as a second messenger in plants. Signal transduction in a receptor cell often results in the release of a hormone that carries information to responder cells.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers