Summer 2016

Department
English
Course Code
ENGL 246
Professor
Mark Rozahegy
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
May 12, 2016
Lesabendio
Essence of technology
Essence: what is it really?
What is the reality of technology?
What is essential?
If you would take out the essential, it would not be technology, it is what holds technology
together
Can we have a free relationship with technology if we do not know what it really is?
Heidegger argues our relationship with technology is not free
It is not free, but we can negotiate
There is subordination and passivity, there is no real choice
Chapter 4: Frankenstein
What is technology?
oWe can’t look at what is technological/individual pieces of technology to understand
this
oHe considers if it is an instrument/means to an end/serve this purpose
oAn instrument is a cause of an effect
oWe often think of technology in this sense
oWe think technology must relate to technê and thus cause and effect
oFrom the greeks, Heidegger brings up idea of bringing forth and art/nature
oIf technology is just an instrument, then man has always been technological, since a
stone and an atomic bomb is all an instrument, but Heidegger thinks that is not true
oWe were not always technological, there was no technology in ancient Greece
oOur ability to command nature makes us technological
Victor goes from alchemist (philosophy association) to being a scientist
oThe transformation happens in chapter 3
oWe are now able to challenge and command nature to do things
Technê is what we used to do, but it is very different from what we do now
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
May 12, 2016 Lesabendio Essence of technology Essence: what is it really? What is the reality of technology? What is essential? If you would take out the essential, it would not be technology, it is what holds technology together Can we have a free relationship with technology if we do not know what it really is? Heidegger argues our relationship with technology is not free It is not free, but we can negotiate There is subordination and passivity, there is no real choice Chapter 4: Frankenstein What is technology? o We cant look at what is technologicalindividual pieces of technology to understand this o He considers if it is an instrumentmeans to an endserve this purpose o An instrument is a cause of an effect o We often think of technology in this sense o We think technology must relate to techn and thus cause and effect o From the greeks, Heidegger brings up idea of bringing forth and artnature o If technology is just an instrument, then man has always been technological, since a stone and an atomic bomb is all an instrument, but Heidegger thinks that is not true o We were not always technological, there was no technology in ancient Greece o Our ability to command nature makes us technological Victor goes from alchemist (philosophy association) to being a scientist o The transformation happens in chapter 3 o We are now able to challenge and command nature to do things Techn is what we used to do, but it is very different from what we do now
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit