Summer 2016

Department
English
Course Code
ENGL 246
Professor
Mark Rozahegy
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
June 14, 2016
The Handmaid’s tail
In both we and the handmaid, there is a liberation aspect to sex, or the body
In both texts, the body is so tightly controlled, that it is a conduit of freeing ourselves
She begins to be more active at the end of the text for bodily sensations, like flowers and smells
and what not
She later starts to speak more, very little is said in the beginning
In the beginning, she feels she has very little to exchange, but later she does
Sex used to be controlled, then it is freed
Trauma: p. 348/167
There is a sense in the beginning of claustrophobia and control
The text is a historical account of a group
It is of all the women, mostly handmaids
There is a need to identify who she is, when really it is not relevant, because she is speaking for
a group
She wants to create a memory of the women she knew
The gileal society erases, it erases the near past
The old past, like churches, they do not erase
They are not afraid of that, they hide what happened recently
The recordings were made after the events that are being told
They are an archeological find
The gileals find the recordings threatening because of the memories, the narrator is trying to
work very hard to remember the society before the gileads, which is dangerous
Most women are sterile
The trouble is you have to get handmaids to do their job while remembering not being
handmaids, the next generations will only know being handmaids, that is why the memories are
dangerous, they could know
There are associative links that get you to think a certain way where you forget the way you
thought before
The text is fragmented because the narrative does not go straight through
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
June 14, 2016 The Handmaids tail In both we and the handmaid, there is a liberation aspect to sex, or the body In both texts, the body is so tightly controlled, that it is a conduit of freeing ourselves She begins to be more active at the end of the text for bodily sensations, like flowers and smells and what not She later starts to speak more, very little is said in the beginning In the beginning, she feels she has very little to exchange, but later she does Sex used to be controlled, then it is freed Trauma: p. 348167 There is a sense in the beginning of claustrophobia and control The text is a historical account of a group It is of all the women, mostly handmaids There is a need to identify who she is, when really it is not relevant, because she is speaking for a group She wants to create a memory of the women she knew The gileal society erases, it erases the near past The old past, like churches, they do not erase They are not afraid of that, they hide what happened recently The recordings were made after the events that are being told They are an archeological find The gileals find the recordings threatening because of the memories, the narrator is trying to work very hard to remember the society before the gileads, which is dangerous Most women are sterile The trouble is you have to get handmaids to do their job while remembering not being handmaids, the next generations will only know being handmaids, that is why the memories are dangerous, they could know There are associative links that get you to think a certain way where you forget the way you thought before The text is fragmented because the narrative does not go straight through
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit