CLAS 365 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Ptolemy Ii Philadelphus, Ptolemy Keraunos, Arsinoe Ii

72 views3 pages

Document Summary

Soon after he declared himself king, ptolemy began to issue coins with his image on the obverse. For the ptolemies, they gave portraits of queens or females. Obverse we have ptolemy ii, has distinctive features: sideburns. We know cause it says adelphon, coin of the siblings. On the reverse, portrait of ptolemy i, and behind him is his wife, berenice i. does this to link himself to his father. Other reasons, by including ptolemy i, reminds everyone of his position. (son of king, entitled to rule). Ptolemy ii was the younger son, his bro ptolemy keraunos (thunderbolt). His brother had to leave, was a potential rival for the throne. 279, there was the question if thunderbolt should be the ruler. He could have put his mother, so that the power his sister/wife has looks normal. Ptolemy i, later became wife of lysimachus, king of thrace, to create a political alliance. Lysimachus died, she married her half brother ptolemy thunderbolt.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers