COMP 228 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Working Set, Complex Instruction Set Computing, Datapath

177 views10 pages

Document Summary

Uniprocessor (circa 2003):a uniprocessor system is defined as a computer system that has a single central processing unit that is used to execute computer tasks. Cpu : receives and executes instructions main memory : holds instructions that are about to be processed secondary storage device : harddrive,dvd etc input and output device : monitor,mouse etc. | cpu |---| memory hub |---| dram | Every1 starts with 3 components of a computer: processor,memory,storage. 4)wires(here,highest-level interconnect) that allow these components to communicate. As such, i call every communication link a wire,collectively forming interconnect. Note 1: obviously, there is interconnect at everyspace scale. The bus chip leading to the low-bandwidth interconnect,i. e. ,to set of wires connecting the zoo of i/o devices, is the i/o controller hub. finally,the network interface chip_ connects the computer to a computer network of some kind. Note:computer optimized to process big data requires a much higher-quality interconnect to its storage. many classes of comp(laptop,desktop,server,supercomputer,warehouse-scale data center,embedded, etc.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers