Premium

10 Pages

Department
Finance
Course Code
FINA 410
Professor
Jean Mayer

This preview shows pages 1-2 and half of page 3. Sign up to view the full 10 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 10 From Earnings to Cash Flows Why cash flows? Because the value of an asset comes from its capacity to generate cash flows. When valuing firm: cash flows should be after taxes reinvestment but before debt payments When valuing equity: cash flows should be after debt payments 3 basic steps to estimating cash flows: 1. Estimate the earnings generated by a firm on its existing assets and investments (previous chapter) 2. Estimate the portion of this income that would go towards paying taxes 3. Develop a measure of how much a firm is reinvesting back for future growth Chaper focus is on last two steps: o Start with investigating the difference between effective marginal taxes, as well as the effects of net operating losses carried forward o To know how much a firm is reinvesting, we will break it down into: (Net Capital expenditures): tangible and longlived assets (Working Capital): short term assets Reinvestment will include investement in RD and acquisitions as part of CAPEX The Tax Effect Aftertax operating income= EBIT * tax rate This is complicated by 3 issues: 1. The wide differences you observe between effective and marginal tax rates for these firms: which to choose? Effective Tax Rate = _ Taxes Due . Taxable Income 2. Firms with large losses: leading to net operating losses that are carried forward and can save taxes in future years 3. The capitalizing of RD and other expenses: because these expenditures can be expensed immediately they have much higher tax benefits for the firm Effective Versus Marginal Tax Rate Choice between the two tax rates: Choice 1: Effective tax is the most widely reported tax rate, computed from the income statement as follows: Effective tax rate = Taxes Due . Taxable Income Choice 2: Marginal tax rate is the tax rate the firm faces on its last dollar of income o Reflects what firms have to pay as taxes on their marginal income
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1-2 and half of page 3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit