Class Notes (884,968)
CA (529,695)
Concordia (4,894)
FINA (134)
FINA 410 (14)
Jean Mayer (14)
Lecture 28

FINA 410 Lecture 28: CHAPTER 28 – THE OPTION TO DELAY AND VALUATION IMPLICATIONS
Premium

12 Pages

Department
Finance
Course Code
FINA 410
Professor
Jean Mayer

This preview shows pages 1-2 and half of page 3. Sign up to view the full 12 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
find more resources at oneclass.com CHAPTER 28 – THE OPTION TO DELAY AND VALUATION IMPLICATIONS  In traditional investment analysis, the decision to accept a project only when return on project > hurdle rate  + NPV proje▯ts ▯ased o▯ CF’s a▯d dis▯ou▯t rates  Limitation of this view is that it does not consider the options associated with many investments.  One of the limitations of traditional investment analysis is that it is static and does not do a good job of capturing the options embedded in an investment: o the option to delay it o The other opportunities in the future that may be available just because we took the investment o the option to abandon it, if the cash flows do not measure up.  These optio▯s all add ▯alue to proje▯ts a▯d ▯a▯ ▯ake a ▯▯ad▯ i▯▯est▯e▯t (from traditional analysis) into a good one.  This chapter considers the option to wait and take the project in a later period  Why would a firm want to do this? o If the PV of CF’s are ▯olatile a▯d ▯a▯ ▯ha▯ge o▯er ti▯e, a proje▯t that does ▯ot pass now (-NPV), may become valuable in the future o Maybe the project has a +NPV, but the firm may gain from waiting because the project has a higher value if taken at a later date  Most valuable when a company has exclusive right to invest in a project and becomes less valuable as the barriers to entry decline.  Three cases where the option to delay can make a difference when valuing a firm: o 1) undeveloped land in the hands of real estate investor or company  The choice of when to develop depends on owner, and will usually begin to develop when real estate value increases enough to justify it o 2) a firm that owns a patent  since patent represents a firm with exclusive right to produce a product or service  it should be valued as an option  so we produce the patented product? o 3) a natural resource company that has undeveloped reserves that it can choose to develop at a time of its choosing—presumably when the price of the resource is high THE OPTION TO DELAY A PROJECT  Usuall▯ ▯e look at CF’s a▯d dis▯ou▯t rates a▯d ▯o▯pute the NPV to see if acceptable  Ho▯e▯er, CF’s a▯d rates ▯ha▯ge o▯er ti▯e  changing NPV  so a project that has – NPV today (rejected) may have a +NPV (accepted) in the future o For regular fir▯s, the fa▯t that it ▯▯a▯ ▯e▯o▯e positi▯e i▯ the future▯ does▯’t matter as they do not have a special advantage over their competitors (their competitors will have a +NPV too)  In an environment where project can solely be taken by one firm, due to legal restrictions or other barriers to entry  the changes in the projects value over time are find more resources at oneclass.com find more resources at oneclass.com relevant and gives it the characteristics of a call option (right to buy)  value = (V-X) where X is initial upfront investment, and V is the PV of cash flows to the project Payoff on the Option to Delay  NPV projectV – X o X: initial up-front investment o V= PV of expected cash inflows from investing in project  Now assuming the firm has exclusive rights  if discount rate or cash flows changes  the PV of CF’s ▯V) may change over time while the initial up-front investment (X) stays the same o So even if currently it has a –NPV, it may still be a good project if the firm waits.  Decision rule: o If V>X  Invest in project as it has +NPV o If V
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1-2 and half of page 3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit