RELI 378 Lecture 2: RELI378 notes 2

2 Pages

Department
Religion
Course Code
RELI 378
Professor
Hillary Kaell

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
RELI-378A
Professor Hillary Kaell
October 3, 2017
Death & Dying
-> All non dar al islamers, war is justified because only through war can islam bring peace to the
next religion or people, inherently the world without sharia is unjust and does not have a
connection to Allah. They have the fairest and most just system. War brings peace in Islam.
-> Peace is not just physical, but also metaphysical.
-> Jihad also has moral conditions of restraint, Prisoners and defeaten enemies must be
respected. They have legitimacy you dont just kill them they must be treated properly. To
continue killing after an enemy is subdued is against the will of Islam. All action must be taken
proportionally, one can defend themselves but proportionally. Example if a person's family
member is killed, the defender may respond in kind but cannot incite a killing spree.
Vegetation, water holes should remain untouched, all natural sources.
-> attacking or ambushing an enemy without proper notice or being treacherous are also
unacceptable terms in Islam. You cannot force someone to be muslim they must find the god
themselves.
-> Just War Theory -> Muslim version
-> War is often a means of expansion for muslim empires etc.
-> Muslims did not yet pose a direct super threat to the holy roman empire but slowly crept up as
they expanded and expanded.
-> Human Sacrifice: The act of Killing one or more human beings, usually as an offering to a
deity and /or as part of a religious ritual.
- The Sacrifice of Iphigeneia, Spansh Mosaic Painting
-> Human Sacrifice in Aztec Culture
-> The sacrifice of the gods was always demanded,
-> Nanahuatl, The Fifth Sun. He and the other gods sacrificed themselves so that humans would
have a sun and could live.
-> Quetzalcoatl -> created using some of his own blood.
-> Mixing his own blood to produce blood. Aztec religion is highly focused on keeping nature in
balance. On false step could lead to disaster. They were especially worried about natural
disasters etc earthquakes.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
RELI-378A Professor Hillary Kaell October 3, 2017 Death & Dying -> All non dar al islamers, war is justified because only through war can islam bring peace to the next religion or people, inherently the world without sharia is unjust and does not have a connection to Allah. They have the fairest and most just system. War brings peace in Islam. -> Peace is not just physical, but also metaphysical. -> Jihad also has moral conditions of restraint, Prisoners and defeaten enemies must be respected. They have legitimacy you dont just kill them they must be treated properly. To continue killing after an enemy is subdued is against the will of Islam. All action must be taken proportionally, one can defend themselves but proportionally. Example if a person's family member is killed, the defender may respond in kind but cannot incite a killing spree. Vegetation, water holes should remain untouched, all natural sources. -> attacking or ambushing an enemy without proper notice or being treacherous are also unacceptable terms in Islam. You cannot force someone to be muslim they must find the god themselves. -> Just War Theory -> Muslim version -> War is often a means of expansion for muslim empires etc. -> Muslims did not yet pose a direct super threat to the holy roman empire but slowly crept up as they expanded and expanded. -> Human Sacrifice: The act of Killing one or more human beings, usually as an offering to a deity and /or as part of a religious ritual. - The Sacrifice of Iphigeneia, Spansh Mosaic Painting -> Human Sacrifice in Aztec Culture -> The sacrifice of the gods was always demanded, -> Nanahuatl, The Fifth Sun. He and the other gods sacrificed themselves so that humans would have a sun and could live. -> Quetzalcoatl -> created using some of his own blood. -> Mixing his own blood to produce blood. Aztec religion is highly focused on keeping nature in balance. On false step could lead to disaster. They were especially worried a
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit