questions from lecture
1. What are the main features of F. Max Muller’s theory of the origin of religion, and how
does it compare to other theories of origin in his time?
- Religion and mythology began with the human perception of overpowering natural
- Myths he believed that myths that are inspired by the sun. He believed that principle gods
and heroes of the Indo-European people had solar roots, or metaphors.
- Transformation, (the sun’s power to perception of this power) is illustrated a “disease of
language” which is the original natural objects of awe and respect is hidden behind
words, and isn’t able to give direct perception through its natural metaphor.
- Gods were only names for natural phenomena, and after awhile they were falsely
interpreted, personified, and defied.
- E.B. Tylor origin = psychological factors, such as dreams, ecstasies
- Lang idea of God is historically among earliest conceptions of humanity so no
discussion of an antecedent “cause” of religion was necessary.