GWST 1010 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Harold Garfinkel, Herculine Barbin, Thomas W. Laqueur

86 views2 pages

Document Summary

James messerschmidt, goodbye to the sex-gender distinction ferber, reading 5. His opening question: after clarifying the sex-gender" distinction developed in the early 1970s by feminist sociologists to re-define women"s condition in social, rather than biological (immutable) terms. [i. e. , and to reject biological determinism"] he asks: His position is that it is necessary for us to revisit sex; and to re-theorize this role. French philosopher, genealogist/historian of systems of thought. Know for critiques the institutions and related disciplines psychiatry; prisons; hospitals especially concerning pathologies; disorders; identities; sexuality; criminality. Wrote a book/thesis (madness and civilization: a history of insanity in the age of reason) -> examines ideas, practices, institutions, art and literature relating to madness in western istory. Wrote the birth of the clinic -> on the institutions of prisons, etc. and treatment of people who had been deemed to be insane". Herculine barbin: memories of a 19th century hermaphrodite. Pierre riviere, having slaughtered my mother, my sister and my brother.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers