Health Promotion
Course
HPRO 3351
Professor
Julian Young
Semester
Winter

Description
INJURY PREVENTION 1 The Social Determinants of Injury Injuries in Atlantic Canada: • Leading cause of death under age 45 • Economic burden: $1.3 billion/year in Atlantic Canada • People are not affected equally • Intentional injuries o By self o By others • Unintentional injuries Report Overview:  SDOH & Injury o Income o Employment and working conditions o Education o Social environments and social exclusion o Housing o Gender o Rural & urban environments  Age, populations & injury o Children o Youth o Seniors o Aboriginals  Best Practice Considerations Primordial Prevention (incorporate this knowledge into our final project) • Improving daily living conditions will increase the likelihood that: A. Rates of injuries will decrease B. People will be more receptive to injury prevention messages and strategies at the primary prevention level *Social policy is injury prevention policy Income & Income distribution  The effect of income results from a combination of: o Negative exposures o Lack of resources o Systematic underinvestment in human, physical, social & health infrastructure “If everyone had the same injury hospitalization rate as the wealthiest Canadians, there would have been 21,000 fewer injury hospitalizations in 2008/2009” INJURY PREVENTION 2 *Charts in slides—reflects household income and injury correlation Employment & working conditions  Workplace injury  Social and economic exclusion in the labour market (economic exclusion= i.e. so poorly educated where they can’t even get a job)  Gender, SES and education Education & literacy  Lower levels of education linked with higher injury  * “It is important to note that this section is not in reference to an individual’s knowledge of risks or safety procedures” On exam: Define and give example of health determinants i.e. poor education ≠ poor knowledge of risks or safety procedures…  Complex interactions with: o Early childhood development o Socio-economic status o Employment conditions Housing  Quality of the housing (old vs. new)  Over-crowding  Income and stress  Children and seniors Gender  Injury rates (men face more unintentional injuries than women)  Constructs of masculinity  Sexualisation of women and girls  SES and social exclusion (i.e. workplace) Urban & Ru
More Less

Related notes for HPRO 3351

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit