Management
Course
MGMT 1000
Professor
Ed Leach
Semester
Fall

Description
Reflection on Work Experience Significant work experience is hard to achieve as a student. I find that my work  experience is stagnated, but not negatively. Things like education, volunteer work, and  life experiences are things that need to occur before achieving notable work experience.  Personally, I find that entry­level jobs are most prominent in my, and many other students  work experience because of the self­fulfilling prophecy “I can’t get a job because I don’t  have experience because I can’t get a job”. Since this mentality is still present within the  corporate world, the service industry, and many other sectors of the economy, I think  experiences outside of the workforce are essential to attaining important work experience.  The following pages present my resume, letters of recommendations, and summaries of  what some of my jobs consisted of and taught me. Five Guys Burgers and Fries At Five Guys Burgers and Fries, the company defines itself by ensuring fresh ingredients  and consistent, top service. In the summer of 2012 I worked at a franchise in North  Vancouver for four months. My responsibilities ranged from cashier to dressing burgers;  but a common theme of all my duties was customer service. Since the company  guarantees clean, friendly, and active service I was expected to conduct myself that way  all the time on shift. I learned a lot from this job about customer service and team  member relationships. Talking courteously to a customer is different from talking  courteously to your manager, parents, or teacher. I gained a lot of helpful and useful  phrases and vocabulary during my summer job that made customers feel cared for and  respected; these are skills that I will carry over into future employment. At Five Guys, I  also learned how to work effectively with team members who had negative input and lack  of respect for co­workers. The employee who was training me treated me as incompetent  and crossing over to her “territory”. This proved to be difficult, but I decided to ignore  her behaviour and focus on doing my job thoroughly and effectively. I started getting  positive attention from my managers, which resulted in my co­worker taking credit for  how well I was doing and thus, she started respecting me. This taught me how to lead by  example instead of being consumed by another worker’s negativity. ESL Tutor For just over a year from 2009­2010 (CHECK), I tutored two ESL elementary students  twice a week. My responsibilities included conversational skills, social etiquette, and  reading comprehension. This tutoring job was so fun and beneficial because I love to  interact with people and help people learn new things. As well, I love working with kids  because when they understand something their gratitude and excitement is infectious.  When I would help my students with a problem, I felt like I was making an impact on  their learning development. Another important aspect of the job that resonated with me  was leading by example. I noticed that when I was distracted during our sessions, my  students would in turn, become unfocused. I didn’t want to be getting paid if my students  were not getting something out of my help, so I adopted a teach by example style; I  would be enthusiastic and provide the students interactive exercise. My students seemed  to react to this positively because they put in more effort and enthusiasm when they saw I  was doing the same. This skill of leading by example has been essential to my work ethic  and relations with peers and co­workers. Professionally and personally, if your peers  perceive you as a positive asset or person, it leads to positive results.  The Bakehouse For about four months in 2009 I worked at a bakery/coffee shop. This experience was  negative but produce positive and valuable lessons. My employers treated their  employees very poorly and were quick to blame problems on the wrong people. They  were unfair with their judgment and their negative attitudes sometimes transferred over  into customer service. Despite the irresponsible example my employers provided, it  motivated me to deviate from their tendencies and focus on customer service and  working hard. As a cashier and barista, my job provided ample opportunity to interact  with customers and give them a pleasurable and courteous experience. To avoid giving  my employers a reason to discipline me, I worked hard to complete my jobs effectively  and efficiently; this mentality was beneficial because not only did it prevent negative  feedback from my employers but it resulted in maximum effort and desirable outcomes  for myself. Even though the environment was not pleasant to be in, my experience at the  bakery taught me how to adapt to situations, in this case negative, and still excel as an  employee.  Resume Resume of Emily Franklin Contact Inform
More Less

Related notes for MGMT 1000

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit