Nursing
Course
NURS 2000
Professor
Adele Vukic
Semester
Winter

Description
Conflict, Stress and Crisis Arnold & Boggs Chapter 14, 20, & 21 Conflict Management:  Avoidance  Accommodation  Competition  Collaboration Avoidance:  Avoid the situation or person  Appropriate when the cost of addressing the conflict is greater than the benefit of resolution.  Postpones the conflict, leads to future problems and damages the relationship.  Lose Lose Accommodation:  Give into the other person.  Cooperative, but not assertive.  Appropriate when the issue is more important to the other person.  Maintain peace, but not dealing with the issue, so it is likely to resurface.  Lose Win Competition:  Domination – exercising power to gain own goals at the expense of the other  Aggression and lack of compromise  Authority is used to suppress conflict.  Justified when quick decision is needed, but leads to problems in long term.  Lose Lose Collaboration  Work together to problem solve.  Identify concerns, clarify assumptions, honest communication & find solution to satisfy all.  Most effective style  Win Win Assertive Behaviour  Setting goals, acting on those goals in a clear, consistent manner and taking responsibilityfor the consequences of those actions.  Stands up for own rights, as well as others. Assertive Indicators  „I” statements; clearly stated  Firm voice; congruent message  Responsible for feelings/needs  Stick to issues  Tactful and aware of others person‟s view  Behaviours are the focus of change. Examples of “I” Statements  I feel uncomfortable when a client‟s personal problems are discussed in the cafeteria because someone may overhear confidential information.  (It is about the behaviour, not about the person.) Aggressive Behaviour  Dominating  Suppressing other person‟s rights  “You” statements  Blaming the other person Passive Behaviour  Denies own rights to avoid conflict Conflict Resolution Principles of Conflict Resolution  Identify conflict issue  Know own response  Stay focused on issue  Identify options  User standards/criteria  Separate issue from people involved Prevention of Conflict  Respectful environment  Notice and intervene if something seems unusual  Utilize verbal and nonverbal commun
More Less

Related notes for NURS 2000

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit