Canada (492,261)
Philosophy (95)
PHIL 2170 (52)

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Dalhousie University
PHIL 2170
Samantha Copeland

Wednesday, January 24, 2011 Symposium Socrates criticizes other speakers; To me it seems astonishingly clear, Agathon, that desire necessarily lacks what it desires and that without lack there can be no desire. How about you? (39) • Desire necessitates the lack of something in the thing we desire • Love itself isn’t beautiful, happiness, etc – it’s the seeking out of those qualities • What a rich person desires is to continually get richer, what he desires is something in the future • When we want something, we want it because we don’t have it; getting to the point ‘why we love’ at all • Have to agree love is not beautiful • So when you say you desire what you already have, don’t you really mean, “I wish to possess tin the future the things I have right now?” – wouldn’t he agree that this is so? (39) • Love is a means we take to satisfy other desires Socrates  love is the son of resource and poverty “As the son of Resource and Povety, this is Love’s plight:…” (p.41) • Touching on the darker side of love; whenever we seek out good or beauty we are loving • Love slips in when we least expect it; “love does not have what it wants [poverty]”, “love will try anything ex. Can’t get Matt Damon, get the guy who looks like him [resource]” • Creates a middle ground for love Love has a function: Love’s function is reproduction in the beautiful, both in body and in soul (p.43) 1. A lover loves beautiful things (42) [things that make me happy, excited, etc. – Halwani – ‘value’, good; hard to love things you don’t value] 2. All love is for the good (42,43) [I love things because they’re beautiful; expansion on the previous point. Repercussions: ] 3. Lovers want to possess the good forever (43) [Ex. Halwani suggests what he means is if I want something in my life, why not forever? You wouldn’t want it for 5 minutes – otherwise it wouldn’t be love. For Socrates the good we want is eternal.] 4. When we love, we reproduce the good, making it immortal (43) [In order to make the things we love last forever, make them immortal i.e. procreation. Strong theme in old Greek philosophy – ideas, thoughts, family names, etc. pass on into eternity. ] Truth, Beauty, Love – hierarchy • Concepts essential to Socrates; Platonic Theory of Forms – Diotima’s Ladder: (45) 5. Love of Beauty [When I’m loving beauty, I’m also loving Truth and Good – love has nothing to do with individual bodies – it’s a journey; a ladder stepped up; functi
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 2170

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.