Love and Morality

2 Pages

Department
Philosophy
Course Code
PHIL 2170
Professor
Samantha Copeland

This preview shows 80% of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Description
Monday, January 31, 2011 TA Office Hours: Thursdays 1-2pm, 2101 McCain Building Love & Morality • Morality splits up right and wrong • Right is further split between obligations and permissive (ex. Donating to charity) o Obligations – rule of ‘ought’; ‘ought’ implies ‘can’ (ex. Obligation not to kill) “There is still the issue of which actions are right and which are wrong, when done for love or because of love, to beloveds and those not part of the love relationship. (p.89) “Romantic love cannot really be obligatory, because it violates the important principal of “ought” implies “can.” If we are obligated to do action a, we would have to be able to do a, (p.89) • Prevents ridiculous moralities • You cannot force someone to love; romantic love can’t be morally obligatory No y has a right against x that x romantically love y. (p.90) • No right myself to say you have to love me; I have no right to your love Do human beings have a right to the love of someone else? “If romantic love were morally abhorrent because it involves the preferential treatment of the beloved, then any other intimate association would also be morally abhorrent if it involves such preferential treatment.” (p.91) • When we love someone, we make exceptions for them (ex. Drowning kid in the pond) • Morality says you don’t distinguish between people when acting morally • Loving makes us partial to certain people/communities over people – i.e. preferential treatment • We would have to get rid of family, friends, n
More Less
Unlock Document

Only 80% of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit