Philosophy
Course
PHIL 2170
Professor
Samantha Copeland
Semester
Winter

Description
Monday, February 28, 2011 Goldman …False conceptual analyses of the means-end form cause confusion about the value of sex to the individual. My account recognizes the satisfaction of desire and the pleasure this brings as the central psychological function of the sex act for the individual. (Goldman 283) • Wants to takes principles/values/morality out of sex acts • We need to define the sex act as the intended physical contact that comes out of a particular desire – not just any pleasure or contact – connects to sexuality and sexual desire (ex. Not just a desire for affection) • “Means-end” – people who theorize about sex acts but build morals into the definition o Fails to get the barebones of what a sex act is o Because it builds values into the concept of sex (i.e. love, sex to express love). Causes confusion to those who value sex o When I desire to have sex but I don’t love the person – sex-love equation • If we think sex is only to express love, things get included/excluded, and in the end instead of defining sex, we only get what we use it for • Taking us away from culture (morals, values) and into the realm of the individual. Get rid of content, culture and society which give us morals, values, etc. Sexual desire, by contrast, is desire for another which is nevertheless essentially self- regarding,.. it bears little relation to those other values… (Goldman 284) • Morals don’t come into the picture until we have more than one person involved. Talking about feeling/function at the level of the individual • Not moral in itself because it was unlike other morals – no moral principle we can apply to the act itself, but the context. Morality determined by context, not by its nature Since the concept of perversion is itself a sexual concept, it will always be defined relative to some definition of normal sex; and any conception of the norm will imply a contrary notion of perverse norms. (284) • Questioning our concept of perversion. Needs to take away morality from perversion if it allows sex to be moral or immoral • Normality vs. perversion when it comes to sex acts • “Statistically normal”
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 2170

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit