PHIL 4120 Lecture Notes - Ordinary Language Philosophy, Linguistic Description, Illocutionary Act

51 views4 pages
15 Nov 2011
Department
Course
Monday, February 14, 2011
J.L. Austin
Inventor of ordinary language philosophy; believed philosophers were ineffective in
using the language because of culture. How we talk/use terms is the starting point for
philosophy.
Performative-Constative
Can we know what other people think/feel? Can we know anything at all? Real vs. not
real – we take ourselves to know thing from extrapolating from evidence/symptoms.
Nature of justification, degrees of justification.
Overall thing: in analyzing terms, philosophers had made a descriptivist fallacy – attempt
to describe something in the world, when people use words (knowledge, belief, truth),
isn’t descriptivist at all.
I.e. Sky is blue. I am justified in believing the sky is blue (i.e. I have evidence)
Other things you can do with the words (ask a question, make a demand, declare, insult,
promise, commitments not descriptions).
Speech-Act Theory – actions you can perform with speech while speaking/writing
Two categories: categories with descriptions, and everything else
Constative utterances – states a fact
Performative utterances –
Distinction between three things: locutionary (what it says), illocutionary force of an
utterance (what you do in saying this thing i.e. asking a question “Is the window open” –
you’re committing an interrogative act.), perlocutionary act of an utterance (
Sentences with one function to perform another (i.e. you’re on thin ice – could be on thin
ice, or take caution)
Austin thought there are other conditions for you make a promise, issue a command, etc.
Felicity conditions on utterances – what conditions needs to be satisfied for nothing to
be wrong in you uttering that thing
Appropriate – is the world purported by the description, the satisfaction of that
description
Felicity on non-descriptive speech-acts: I.e. open the window, but no window in the
room. Presupposed that there is a window. Presupposed in the appropriateness of the
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get OneClass Notes+

Unlimited access to class notes and textbook notes.

YearlyBest Value
75% OFF
$8 USD/m
Monthly
$30 USD/m
You will be charged $96 USD upfront and auto renewed at the end of each cycle. You may cancel anytime under Payment Settings. For more information, see our Terms and Privacy.
Payments are encrypted using 256-bit SSL. Powered by Stripe.