PSYO 1011 (32)
n/a (17)
Lecture 3

Unit 1 - Lecture 3 - Correlational Research & Experiments.docx

4 Pages
Unlock Document

Dalhousie University
PSYO 1011

PSYO 1011 Correlational Research & Experiments 1 Lecture 3: Correlational Research & Experiments September 17, 2009 Correlational Research: • Tries to quantify the relationships between naturally occurring variables • Asks about associations between naturally occurring variables • 3 Components o Researcher measures 1 variable (X) o Researcher measures 2 variable (Y) o Look for statistical relationship (X/Y) • How does correlational research differ from experimental research? o Correlational research measures but does not manipulate variables Correlation Coefficient: • Statistic that indicates the direction & strength of the association between 2 variables o Can be correlated positively or negatively o Range in value from -1.00 to +1.00  The closer the correlation is to -1 or +1, the stronger it is related • Positive Correlation o Higher scores on X are associated with high scores on Y o Positive slope o i.e.) People’s height is positively correlated with their height • Negative Correlation o Higher scores on X are associated with low scores on Y o Negative slope o i.e.) Depression is negatively correlated with the amount of monthly daylight • Zero Correlation o X & Y are not related statistically o Slope cannot be drawn o Zero correlation does not equal negative correlation o i.e.) Number of apples consumed per week and GPA Correlational Studies: • Advantages o Examines real-world variables o Addresses questions with ethical restraints  i.e.) Smoking has a correlation to cancer; while this is not directly related to smoking it links it o Can be used to make predictions  i.e.) Knowing score of one variable helps to predict the score of the other variable w/i certain limits • Disadvantages o Cannot draw conclusions about cause-effect Experiments: PSYO 1011 Correlational Research & Experiments 2 • Most direct method for testing explanations of why certain phenomena occur • 3 main characteristics o Manipulates one variable o Measures if this manipulation produces changes in a second variable o Attempts to control (but cannot) control extraneous factors that might influence the outcome of the experiment • RandomAssignment critical to experimental testing o However, groups still need to be comparable o Sample participants  Random assignment into experimental or control o Measure learning in both groups  Statistically compare performance of both groups Variables: • Independent Variable o Manipulated by the researcher  Cause o Two independent variables  Minimum 4 different groups • Dependent Variable o Measured by researcher  Effect o Depends on independent variable • Important to operationally define variables o i.e.) Listening to a tape of street sounds at 60dB for 30 minutes operationally defines the variable noise Experimental & Control Groups: • Experimental Group o Receives treatment or ‘active’level of independent variable o Common to have multiple experimental groups
More Less

Related notes for PSYO 1011

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.