Psychology
Course
PSYO 1011
Professor
n/a
Semester
Fall

Description
PSYO 1011 Consciousness Supplementary Notes 1 Lecture 14: Consciousness October 29, 2009 State of Consciousness: • Pattern of subjective experience • A way of experience internal & external events • Altered State of Consciousness o Variations from our normal walking state The Puzzle of Consciousness: • Consciousness o Our moment­to­moment awareness of ourselves & our environment • Characteristics of Consciousness o Subjective & Private  People cannot know what reality is for you & vice versa o Dynamic (Ever­Changing)  Drift in and out of various states throughout of the day  Stimuli of which we are aware constantly changes  Typically experience consciousness as a stream of mental activity o Self­Reflective & Central to our Sense of Self  Mind is aware of its own consciousness • Intimately connected with the process of selective attention Measuring States of Consciousness: • Self­ Report o People describe their inner experiences • Physiological Measures o Est. correspondence between bodily states & mental processes  i.e.) EEG recordings identify different stages of sleep throughout the night o Objective but cannot tell us what a person is experiencing subjectively • Behavioral Measures o Objective, but still must infer the person’s state of mind Levels of Consciousness­ Psychodynamic & Cognitive Perspectives: Psychodynamic Perspective: • Sigmund Freud • 3 Levels of Awareness o Conscious  Thoughts, perceptions & other mental events of which one is currently aware o Preconscious  Outside of current awareness but can easily be recalled under certain conditions  i.e.) Recalling an old childhood friend when their name is mentioned after not  thinking about them for years o Unconscious PSYO 1011 Consciousness Supplementary Notes 2  Cannot be brought into conscious under ordinary circumstances  However, unconscious processes influence behavior The Cognitive Unconscious: • View conscious & unconscious mental life as complementary forms of information processing o Cognitive psychologists reject notion of unconscious mind driven by instinctive urges &  repressed conflicts • Controlled vs. Automatic Processing: o Controlled (Effortful) Processing  Voluntary use of attention & conscious effort  More flexible & open to change/finding new solutions to problems  i.e.) Planning a vacation, studying, etc. o Automatic Processing  Performed with little or no conscious effort  Reduces chances of finding new ways to approach problems  i.e.) Routine actions, well­learned tasks, etc. • Divided Attention: o The ability to perform more than one activity at the same time  i.e.) Talking while walking o Without ability to divide attention, every act would require full attention  Quickly overwhelm our mental capacity The Emotional Unconscious: • Emotional & motivations processes operate unconsciously & influence behavior • Unconscious processes have an emotional & motivational flavor o Study subliminally presented students with strong positive/negative nouns  Positive noun subjects when tested were in a better mood than negative noun  subjects The Modular Mind:  Freud’s t
More Less

Related notes for PSYO 1011

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit