RELS 1002 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Ihsan, Sunnah
Course CodeRELS 1002
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 1 pages of the document.
Lecture Notes: Intro To Islam
- Muhammad was traveling somewhere and a traveler came and asked a series of
questions (3 main questions we’re concerned about) as though he was quizzing him.
This traveler turns out to be Angel Gabriel (Jabril) disguised in human form.
• What is submission? (Islam==submission to God)
Submission consists of 5 things called pillars or Islam
Shahada: 1st part there’s no god but God—2nd part Mohammad is
Prayer: 5 times a day, in the direction of Mecca, the Ka’ba means cube
and was built by Abraham.
Fasting : month of Ramadan
Charity: 2.5% of unused property
• What is faith?
• What is doing what is good/beautiful ( Arabic word: ihsan)
• Mohammad’s answers give an outline/overview of Islam
- Islam is based on the Quran and hadith (word of the prophet)/sunna
(custom/practice of the prophet)
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version