Nursing
Course
NRS 103
Professor
Lisa Giallonardo
Semester
Fall

Description
Group Project outline/guidelines follow rubric Empathy What does it mean to me? caring for a client without making their problems personal serving and being others-centred holistically really caring for a client as a person with emotions and pain understanding acknowledging/validating/respecting/identifying/being aware of client's experience and feelings shows compassion communication "Empathy is the ability to understand another person's reality, to accurately perceive unspoken feelings, and to communicate this understanding to the other" (P&P) "Showing empathy is an important goal to work for, essential for showing concern and communicating support for others" (P&P) intentional, developed behaviour nurses can practice without empathy (most do) empathy takes time, understanding Facilitating Empathy active listening being present being authentic being yourself mirror the client's verbals and non-verbals match emotions/behaviours (to an extent) take time before responding intentional silence borrow another's feelings to observe, feel and understand them— but not to take them onto ourselves—be a participant observer—enter the equation and then remove yourself content: what they say feeling: what they show head + heart = empathy Experiencing Empathy Client is talking—I listen—I understand—I convey to you that I understand (may be non-verbal communication) Sympathy when a caregiver experiences feelings as if he/she were the sufferer concern, sorrow, pity felt for the client focuses on the nurse's feelings rath
More Less

Related notes for NRS 103

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit