Nursing
Course
NRS 103
Professor
Lisa Giallonardo
Semester
Fall

Description
Values: belief things that I think are important morals (what I think is right) reflected in behaviour ideas+behaviours perspective Behaviours reflecting what I think is right and important. Values are almost never isolated, but rather are interwoven with each other and with specific life events They influence each other and are almost always changing Values continually evolve as an individual matures in the ability to think critically, logically and morally Influenced by culture, exposure, family Personal values: what I think is important (how I live my personal life) an idea or belief that I strive to uphold in my life a personal value system develops as part of your upbringing--tied to moral development value formation is strongly influenced by: family experiences (roommate ex: fleeing genocide) culture, ethnic and religious communities culture: how people think about other people school, peer groups and work environments how may your personal values have influenced your decision to come into nursing? nurses must be aware of their personal values and the values of clients, physicians, employers or other groups to understand the values of others, it is important to understand one's own values what they are, where they come from, and how they relate to others' values Professional values: what my profession says is important (how I live my life while working) professional values are those held in common by the profession professional values are formally stated in the form of professional codes in canada we have a code of ethics for registered nurses which incorporate our professional values Accountability definition nurses are accountable for their actions and answerable for their practice self-awareness: knowing yourself practice know medication/side effects code of ethics not personalizing/keep professional boundaries working as a team; feedback + assessment reporting unsafe practice do not allow personal and professional values to conflict Dignity definition recognizing and respecting client's worth simply because they are human practice keeping privacy/confidentiality maintaining boundaries treating client's equally, regardless of socio-economic status providing information for client choice advocating and providing care for client Safe, Competent, Ethical Care definition competence: knowledge/skill to perform job safe: providing secure, comfortable environment ethics: moral code when providing care to ensure well- being of person/family practice questioning, intervening if seeing unsafe/unethical practices admitting mistakes/providing feedback providing care using appropriate safety precautions Health and Well-Being definition social, physical, mental, environmental state of being comfortable with self practice promote health: working with people to enable them to attain highest possible level of health and well-being advocating for client's use of least restrictive measure possible collaboration with other health professionals to maximize health benefits of the clients (meet needs, encourage strengths/knowledge/skills) Informed Decision Making definition nurses recognize, respect and promote a person's right to be informed and make decisions providing access to information so client can make informed choices client's may request that health information not being given practice honest/truthful/accurate information advocation and respect Privacy and Confidentiality definition confidentiality: nurse does not disclosing private information privacy: client can restrict access to self or information practice nurse does not disclose confidential information unless need to know basis; or family needs to make choice for client client can request new nurse; not tell information Justice definition nurses uphold principles of justice by safeguarding human rights, equity and fairness and by promoting the public good equitability: treating all people the same socially; not discriminating fairness: treating people based on need practice not discriminating, prejudiced, judgemental treat every client humanely, fair and knowledge-based care advocation for clients; allow clients to be open and honest *Values come from Ethics* CNA Code of Ethics providing safe, competent and ethical care safe: no harm done competent: knowledge-based (ask, get help)
More Less

Related notes for NRS 103

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit