Canada (493,092)
Nursing (61)
NRS 103 (8)

5 Pages
Unlock Document

Humber College
NRS 103
Lisa Giallonardo

Conflict: Tension between two or more people, in which the actions of one frustrate the other and prevent accomplishment of goals. *Nature of Conflict content values, beliefs, goals process relationship (with self/others) Cause of Conflict misunderstanding b/c of miscommunication most conflict arises in process Conflict is considered good (resolves problems) Types of Conflict Intrapersonal with self ex: I want to lose weight, but can't manage my eating Interpersonal between people ex: my mom wants me to wash the dishes, and I don't Overt observable, obvious ex: fistfight, yelling Covert invisible ex: inside feeling (intrapersonal) Functional growth, perspective change, relationship, problem solving become better b/c of it Dysfunctional cannot move forward, no resolution/personal growth or development prevents from meeting personal goals Conflict in Therapeutic Relationship Can you think of some ways that the nurse might behave that may create conflict in the therapeutic relationship? miscommunication, not paying attention, different goals/perspectives/cultures, making assumptions/judgements/accusations, non-verbal communication (not following through) when you fail to validate clients (acknowledge feelings), exerting power over clients (no choice, autonomy results in conflict/defensiveness), sympathy ("I understand" leads to conflict; nurse doesn't know client's feelings (defensive)) intrapersonal conflict can lead to interpersonal conflict between client + nurse Perception is reality: the way a patient sees you is the way you are really acting. Must have a sense of self-awareness. May not be intentional, but still are accountable for appearance. Context drives care: therapeutic techniques depend on individual and context How to Manage Conflict: Avoidance walk away and don't come back, ignore dysfunctional: no growing, changing functional: picking your battles lose-lose relationship Accommodation compromising (one person "gives in") functional: life-death situation dysfunctional: problems resurface win-lose relationship Competition fighting to win; authority; domination dysfunctional lose-lose relationship Collaboration two people working together to reach resolution functional: both person's goals are reached win-win relationship Managing conflict is all about communication Resolving Conflict Identify conflict issues Know your own response to conflict triggers (non-verbal) Separate the problem from the people involved Sta
More Less

Related notes for NRS 103

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.