PSYC 110 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Cognitive Dissonance, Combined Oral Contraceptive Pill, Condom

77 views15 pages
15 Apr 2015
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Chapter 6 notes attitudes and attitude change: influencing thoughts, feelings, behavior: attitude: an evaluation of a person, object or idea. Where do attitudes come from: not all attitudes are created equally, any given attitude can be based more on one type of experience than another. Suppose you asked a friend how much they enjoy exercising. If she says i guess i like it cause i always seem to be going for a run her attitude is based more of an observation of her own behavior than on her cog or affect. Implicit attitudes: explicit attitudes: attitudes that we consciously endorse and can easily report. Implicit attitudes: attitudes that are involuntary, uncontrollable, and at times unconscious. Implicit attitudes are rooted more in ppls childhood experiences, whereas explicit attitudes are rooted more in their recent experiences. When attitudes predict behavior: a. wicker (1969): ppls attitudes are poor predictors of their behavior.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers