GEOG 1120 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Continental Crust, Hornfels, Canadian ShieldPremium
4 pages94 viewsFall 2016
Course CodeGEOG 1120
This preview shows page 1. to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Lecture 10: META Rocks
- Old component of continental crust called "Craton".
=> Craton - AKA Shield, are continents that have been
stable for billions of years.
- META rocks contain mineral resources.
- Used for building materials such as statues.
- META rocks is the result from pre-existing rock.
- META rocks are altered/changed rocks.
- Heat and pressure creates META rocks.
- Are different from their rock parents (both chemically and
- Occurs deep inside the Earth.
- Don't need high or low temperature.
- META rocks are the "Middle Child" - Mid. Temperature and Mid.
=> SED rocks - shallow and low temperature.
=> Igneous rocks - need high pressure and high
- META rocks need to be put under pressure.
- Pressure controls primarily META rocks.
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version
Loved by over 2.2 million students
Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.