9/26/2012 8:37:00 AM
Plant Biology – Day 8
Features Monocots Dicots
Cotyledons 1 2
Leaves Linear Net-Like
Secondary Growth No Yes
Vascular Cambium No Yes
Cork Cambium No Yes
Vascular Bundles Scattered Found in a Ring
Pollen Grain 1 Aperture 3 Apertures
1) Supply water + Nutrients from the soil.
2) Anchor the plant.
- Embryotic root is known as the root radicle.
- 2 main root types based on structure
a) Taproot 1 central main root.
b) Fibrous interwoven network of roots.
- Roots Have impressive surface area and length.
Root Development: Inverted cup shape meristem
- 4 regions
2) Region of cell division mitotic growth
- cup shaped meristem with a central portion – quiescent center
- increasing # of cells by mitosis
3) Region of Elongation - cells are increasing gin length & there is some differentiation
into different tissue types
- this is due to 3 meristematic areas
a) Epidermis protoderm