Anthropology
Course
ANTH 2231
Professor
B.Galdiks
Semester
Summer

Description
Clearly the Ancestor of the Later Neandertals  Typical Neandertal features o Double-archer browridge o Mid-facial prognathism 1125-1390 cc o Modern human is 1350 cc SH 5 What Can the Bones Tell Us? 1. How did these peoples’ remains get here? a. Living in the cave i. Poor access to cave ii. Almost no stone tools iii. Faunal remains not typical of people food o Dragged there by cave bears or cave lions? o Carnivore tooth marks on over 50% of bones o But… age-profile of the hominin remains is not right  Very odd age-at-death profile  Not representative of predators selecting prey (e.g., bears or lions) o Where they thrown into the pit?  Why?  Just disposing of corpses?  Was it funerary ritual? 2. What did they look like? a. Bone length suggest similar stature to modern human i. Avg. 1.75m (5’9”) for males and 1.7m (5’7”) for females, ii. Some males weighed 90kg (200 lbs) and were 1.8m (5’11”)
More Less

Related notes for ANTH 2231

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit