BIOL 1116 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Single Displacement Reaction, Chemical Decomposition
28 views3 pages
Acid and Base
Water is a "Universal Solvent"
* Solution - liquid made of two or more substances.
* Solvent - dissolving agent.
* Solute - substance that is dissolved.
* Changes or polarity allow them to stick to water molecules
that are dissolving in water.
* Form aqueous solutions.
Ice is less dense than liquid water
* Water comes in three forms:
* Molecules in ice are farther apart.
* Ice less than liquid water which causes it to float.
Acidic and Basic
* Water can break up into two ions => OH- and H+
=> H2O <=> H+ + OH-
* Acid - compound that release H+ ions in solution.
* Base - compound that accept H+ ions in solution.
* 0-7 = acidic; 8-14 = basic; neutral with pH of 7 = neither
basic nor acidic.
* H+ = protons.