Communications
Course
CMNS 1115
Professor
C.Chen
Semester
Fall

Description
Vocal Gestures the Language Vocal gestures: Language - initially, we communicate through a conversation of gestures - the conversation of gestures only becomes language when these gestures become significant symbols - get response from people from symbols - child becomes object to self How does a gesture become a significant symbol? - a gesture is called significant once the individual can interpret the meaning of her own gestures - it means being able to “call out” or bring forward the response that your gesture calls out or elicits in others - most famously, Mead describes the process of gestures becoming symbols as follows: “ When one uses significant symbols one is ‘taking the role of the other’ in the regulation of one’s own conduct.” “ one becomes a human being insofar as one can become an object to onself” - to be an organism in possession of mind, one must possess language - “thought is an internal dialogue” a dialogue with the generalized other The “I” The first phase of the self to appear. The doer, the feeling, instinctive, sensuous being The “ME” The receiver, the sense of what others perceive of what I do “MYSELF” consciousness, self cons
More Less

Related notes for CMNS 1115

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit