A Decade of Policy Experimentation
● Policy lessons reg’ unwanted immigration “are negative ones”
○ no evidence that trippling border enforcement resources have
“created an effective deterrent to unauthorised migrants”
○ by contrast, “significant” consequences are in abundance
● Why does this failed policy exist despite its continual failed efficacy?
● how much illegal immigration is ACTUALLY unwated? And how many
of these policies/incentives actually GENERATE illegaility (as
opposed to deter it?)
● lack of consensus in American public in regards to attitudes towards
immigrants & levels of immigration.
○ contradictory views: Americans polled to believe that
immigrants drive down wages and compete with domestic workers (substitutes) but at the same time they perceive
immigrants as “complements” to the