Philosophy
Course
PHIL 1100
Professor
U.Abaci
Semester
Fall

Description
Elements of a Just Society  Retributive – trying to answer question “how does society treat people who do not follow the rules” – if not consistent, society disintegrates o Theory of justice dealing with how societies treat those who violate laws  Distributive – how to allocate wealth, power, resources  equality o Theory of justice dealing with how society’s wealth, opportunity, and power should be distributed  Problem: it's a descriptive theory --> no justifications o Ex. Just because I don't go to office hours, Ahmad shouldn't care less about me  Talks about empathy but doesn't explain what empathy is  Types of justice o Retributive - trying to answer the question: how does society treat people who do not follow the rules? --> If inconsistent, society disintegrates o Distributive - how to allocate wealth, power, resources --> all about equality  Ethics =/= law ...ethics come first and law is based around that Classical Theories of Society: Confucius, Plato, and Aristotle  Confucius (Master Kong / Kong Fuzi) Society should be based on virtue. o Ren: a humane principle rooted in empathy and feeling for others o Zhong-yong: a state of harmony achieved through the practice of virtue o Li: the rules of propriety or moral customs of a society o Argued that society needed to be based on virtue and that will stop chaos  humanity and benevolence are very important o Best society is society that has achieved equilibrium (very similar to Golden Mean) o Forms harmonious society o If you hurt me, I hurt you  incentive for you to stop hurting me o To be virtuous requires self-restraint and commitment to idea of equilibrium o Harmonious society  based on a good and orderly government o Both the individual and the leaders of the state have a responsibility in creating an enlightened society founded on virtue o Ethical humanism: humans are capable of promoting welfare and dignity o An ethical perspective based on the belief that human intelligence is capable of promoting human welfare and dignity in a way that conforms to our essential nature o Adopts the idea that we have everything that we need o What is central to his view? Virtue: the rules of propriety = state of equilibrium o No requirement that you sacrifice everything o Society defines the rules of propriety o You belong in a society, in order for you to get by, you have to follow the rules o Harmonious society; don’t go to war  Plato: Society should be based on function and harmony o Society needs to function largely based on harmony and roles people play within society o A just society; The Republic; polis = city-state o What’s good for society is just o Plato rejected democracy  Mob rule is emotional, devastating; never the answer  Majority is usually wrong  Rejects democracy (he believ
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 1100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit