Philosophy
Course
PHIL 1100
Professor
U.Abaci
Semester
Fall

Description
St. Augustine St. Augustine’s Synthesis of Plato and Christianity  Plato’s (and Socrates’) views were revolutionary o The existence of an immaterial reality separate from the physical world o The radical distinction between an immaterial soul and physical body o The existence of an immortal soul that finds its ultimate fulfillment in union with the external, transcendent realm o Plotinus  Neo-Platonism; based on Plato’s core concept that “the soul, since it is a spiritual substance in its own right and can exist independently of the body, possesses a categorical superiority over the body.”  Imperfect vessel  body; disdain for body resulted in lost of voice, body sores, physical deterioration drove students away  Influence on St. Augustine  St. Augustine o Integrating concepts of Plato with Christianity o Believed that the physical body was both radically different from and inferior to its inhabitant, the immortal soul o Immortal souls striving to achieve union with God through faith and reason o Body is “snare” or “cage” for the soul, body is a “slave” to the soul o “The soul makes war with the body.” o “That the body is united with the soul, so that man may be entire and complete, is a fact we recognize on the evidence of our own nature.” o The body dies; the soul lives eternally in a transcendent realm of truth and beauty o Christianity’s first theologian: the study of God o Established groundwork for Descartes o “I am doubting, therefore I am.” Descartes’ Modern Perspective on the Self  The self is a thinking thing, distinct from the body.  Cogito, ergo sum “I think, therefore I am.”  What is the nature of reality?  What is the “good life” and
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 1100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit