ANTH-101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Cultural Anthropology, Biological Anthropology, Ethnography

54 views1 pages
24 Feb 2016
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

The scientific study of the origin, development, and varieties of human beings and their societies, particularly so-called primitive societies. To some people this definition is all that anthropology is about, including myself, until my first week in. After watching the video essence of anthropology and seeing the four different field approaches; Cultural, linguistic, archeology, and physical anthropology within a given society my interest for cultural anthropology grew. Cultural anthropology studies modern day and historical human societies all over the world. Cultural anthropologists investigate within a certain society of interest and collect their data during an extended period of close involvement in every day life, this is known as fieldwork. In this video the cast members made a ethnography; which is an anthropologists written or filmed description of a particular culture, the ethnography studied the culture of the ju/"hoansi within the 1950"s.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers