EASC 101 Lecture 6: 6

3 Pages

Department
Earth and Planetary Sciences
Course Code
EASC-101
Professor
A N O N Y M O U S

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Asexual Reproduction
Asexual reproduction involves only one parent who passes on the genetic information to their
offspring. This sharing of genetic information makes the offspring identical to the parent. There
are different types of asexual reproduction:
Binary Fission - only single-celled organisms reproduce in this way. The cell duplicates its
contents, including its nucleus and other organelles and then splits into two cells with each one
being identical. (bacteria, amoeba, algae)
Asexual Spore Production - spores are similar to seeds, but are produced by the division of cells
on the parent, not by the union of two cells. One parent may produce many spores, each of which
will grow into a new individual, identical to its parent. (fungi, green algae, moulds, ferns). Many
spores are produced to ensure that at least some of the individual organisms will survive.
Zoospores can also be produced by some fungi and green algae. They move using tail-like
flagella.
Asexual Reproduction in Plants
A plants continues to grow throughout its life. The rapidly growing tips of roots and stems contain
specialized reproductive cells called meristem. At a certain time these cells will specialize into
cells that make up roots, stems and leaves. If parts of the plant are damaged, the meristem cells
make repairs. Clones can be made from cuttings of a plant, because the meristem cells can
specialize to reproduce the different parts needed to make a new plant. Asexual reproduction can
produce many plants very quickly. This is an advantage in places where the environment doesn't
change very much (bacteria). By building a large population of organisms very quickly the species
is able to thrive. The great disadvantage is that when the environment changes, all of the
organisms will die, if they do not have the ability to adapt to the change.
Budding - the parent organism produces a bud (a smaller version of itself), which eventually
detaches itself from the parent and becomes a self-sufficient individual - identical to the parent.
Coral also reproduces in this way, but do not detach themselves (hydra, yeast, coral, sea sponge).
Sexual Reproduction
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Asexual Reproduction Asexual reproduction involves only one parent who passes on the genetic information to their offspring. This sharing of genetic information makes the offspring identical to the parent. There are different types of asexual reproduction:  Binary Fission - only single-celled organisms reproduce in this way. The cell duplicates its contents, including its nucleus and other organelles and then splits into two cells with each one being identical. (bacteria, amoeba, algae)  Asexual Spore Production - spores are similar to seeds, but are produced by the division of cells on the parent, not by the union of two cells. One parent may produce many spores, each of which will grow into a new individual, identical to its parent. (fungi, green algae, moulds, ferns). Many spores are produced to ensure that at least some of the individual organisms will survive. Zoospores can also be produced by some fungi and green algae. They move using tail-like flagella.  Asexual Reproduction in Plants A plants continues to grow throughout its life. The rapidly growing tips of roots and stems contain specialized reproductive cells called meristem. At a certain time these cells will specialize into cells that make up roots, stems and leaves. If parts of the plant are damaged, the meristem cells make repairs. Clones can be made from cuttings of a plant, because the meristem cells can specialize to reproduce the different parts needed to make a new plant. Asexual reproduction can produce many plants very quickly. This is an advantage in places where the environment doesn't change very much (bacteria). By building a large population of organisms very quickly the species is able to thrive. The great disadvantage is that when the environment changes, all of the organisms will die, if they do not have the ability to adapt to the change.  Budding - the parent organism produces a bud (a smaller version of itself), which eventually detaches itself from the parent and becomes a self-sufficient individual - identical to the parent. Coral also reproduces in this way, but do not detach themselves (hydra, yeast, coral, sea sponge). Sexual Reproduction Sexual reproduction usually involves two individual organisms. The offspring that are produced from this union have a mix of characteristics, half from one parent and the other half from the other parent. Sexual reproduction does not always involve male and female parents, but can have specialized gametes (reproductive cells that have only one role - to join with another gamete during reproduction). Many organisms are capable of both sexual and asexual reproduction, like some moulds, such as Rhizopus, which produce spores. They can also produce zygospores, enabling them to reproduce sexually as well. Sexual reproduction has the advantage of providing lots of variation within a species, helping it to survive when the environment changes. The main disadvantage is that this process t
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit