Winter 2016

Department
Earth and Planetary Sciences
Course Code
EASC-101
Professor
A N O N Y M O U S
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
The Law of Conservation of Mass
In a chemical reaction, the total mass of the reactants, is always equal to the total mass of the
products.
This law ties in well with the atomic theory, which states that atoms are never created or
destroyed. In a chemical reaction the atoms and molecules are simply rearranged.
This law of conservation of mass however does not apply to nuclear reactions, because there Is
some loss of mass: the mass is changed into energy. This was first suggested by Albert Einstein
in his famous equation:
E =MC2
(E Is Energy, M is Mass, C2 is a large number) A very tiny amount of mass is equal to a very large
amount of energy
In an open system some of the mass seems to disappear, when it is in the form of a gas.
Other scientists followed up on the law of conservation of mass by stating the ...
Law of Definite Composition
Compounds are pure substances that contain two or more elements combined together in fixed (or
definite) proportions.
Water is an example of this law. Pure water always contains 11% Hydrogen and 89% Oxygen.
Chemistry Tutorials http://www.chemistrycoach.com/tutorials-2.htm
Law of Multiple Proportions states that the masses of one element, which combine with a fixed
mass of the second element, are in a ratio of whole numbers.
Pure substances have constant composition and properties. An unknown substance can be
identified by measuring a property of the substance (eg. density) and compare it to known values
of other substances. If the test property matches a known value, it is likely that substance, because
each substance has its own distinguishing properties unique to that substance.
Science Focus 9 Matter and Chemical Change Class Notes
New Discoveries
Allesandro Volta made the first practical battery (the voltaic pile) around 1800, by piling zinc and
copper plates on top of each other, separating them with electrolyte-soaked paper discs.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
The Law of Conservation of Mass In a chemical reaction, the total mass of the reactants, is always equal to the total mass of the products. This law ties in well with the atomic theory, which states that atoms are never created or destroyed. In a chemical reaction the atoms and molecules are simply rearranged. This law of conservation of mass however does not apply to nuclear reactions, because there Is some loss of mass: the mass is changed into energy. This was first suggested by Albert Einstein in his famous equation: E =MC2 (E Is Energy, M is Mass, C2 is a large number) A very tiny amount of mass is equal to a very large amount of energy In an open system some of the mass seems to disappear, when it is in the form of a gas. Other scientists followed up on the law of conservation of mass by stating the ... Law of Definite Composition Compounds are pure substances that contain two or more elements combined together in fixed (or definite) proportions. Water is an example of this law. Pure water always contains 11% Hydrogen and 89% Oxygen. Chemistry Tutorials http://www.chemistrycoach.com/tutorials-2.htm Law of Multiple Proportions states that the masses of one element, which combine with a fixed mass of the second element, are in a ratio of whole numbers. Pure substances have constant composition and properties. An unknown substance can be identified by measuring a property of the substance (eg. density) and compare it to known values of other substances. If the test property matches a known value, it is likely that substance, because each substance has its own distinguishing properties unique to that substance. Science Focus 9 Matter and Chemical Change Class Notes New Discoveries Allesandro Volta made the first practical battery (the voltaic pile) around 1800, by piling zinc and copper plates on top of each other, separating them with electrolyte-soaked paper discs. When this voltaic pile was hooked up to transfer the electricity through water, they discovered hydrogen and oxygen gases cou
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit