Class Notes (977,777)
CA (576,071)
MacEwan (1,484)
HIST (80)
HIST-100 (2)
Lecture 1

HIST-100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Francis Xavier, Tokugawa Ieyasu, Toyotomi Hideyoshi
Premium

3 Pages
Winter 2018

Department
History
Course Code
HIST-100
Professor
Elena Krevsky
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Cultural Foundations of Japan
Ujj - the clan
Prominence of women, matriarchal families
Shinto - the way of the Gods
Kami - divine spirit
Shinto Shrine - does not have a detailed theoretical principle like Islam, just worships things
like nature and their surroundings
Chinese influence:
adopted in the 5th century
Chinese and Japanese - very different language - technical difficulties between the two
had to learn chinese first, then japanese and had to learn how to write both languages
Confucianism: heaven, harmony, worship of ancestors, cult of family (filial piety)
every family had a special place where they worshipped their ancestors
Chinese : idea of mandate of heaven - the imperial family comes into power because they have
mandate of heaven since heaven trusted them with this power
political ideals (not the Mandate of heaven)
Administrative division: Japan was divided into provinces, prefectures and sub prefectures
Buddhism - many buddhists came to Japan to study the scriptures of their religion
Tokugawa Japan: Political Foundations
early 17th Century - early 1600’s
Warring States Era (1467-1600):
1467: conflict over the next Ashikaga Shogun led to collapse of central authority
Wars between daimyo, local lords and samurai strongmen
Japan was in turmoil for 100 years
Castles and castle towns were built
Growing numbers of samurai
They didn’t have to pay taxes, so were able to spend more money on military
Commercial growth
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Cultural Foundations of Japan Ujj - the clan Prominence of women, matriarchal families Shinto - the way of the Gods Kami - divine spirit Shinto Shrine - does not have a detailed theoretical principle like Islam, just worships things like nature and their surroundings Chinese influence: adopted in the 5th century Chinese and Japanese - very different language - technical difficulties between the two had to learn chinese first, then japanese and had to learn how to write both languages Confucianism: heaven, harmony, worship of ancestors, cult of family (filial piety) every family had a special place where they worshipped their ancestors Chinese : idea of mandate of heaven - the imperial family comes into power because they have mandate of heaven since heaven trusted them with this power political ideals (not the Mandate of heaven) Administrative division: Japan was divided into provinces, prefectures and sub prefectures Buddhism - many buddhists came to Japan to study the scriptures of their religion Tokugawa Japan: Political Foundations early 17th Century - early 1600s Warring States Era (1467-1600): 1467: conflict over the nextAshikaga Shogun led to collapse of central authority Wars between daimyo, local lords and samurai strongmen Japan was in turmoil for 100 years Castles and castle towns were built Growing numbers of samurai They didnt have to pay taxes, so were able to spend more money on military Commercial growth
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit