Premium

2 Pages

Department
Philosophy
Course Code
PHIL-330
Professor
E.L.

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Jaes “hall o Plato: hy is his ork still orth studyig? Ee if soe arguets lak sophistiatio hat akes it good
philosophy?
1)Plato’s ritig produes ore truth tha falsity
2)The actual practice of Platonic philosophy: what makes the dialogue (main speaker + interlocutors) attractive as a
format?
-philosophy is brought to life—you are iersed i the atio/ ie the speaker addresses as you
-a drama, not a declarative treatise; includes themes, imagery, motifs, can prove more interesting to read even in non
philosophical discussions
The Republic will provide a concept of philosophy: how do we define it? What constitutes practicing it?
-for every philosopher they write within a context even if they make their arguments out of context like Descartes does
(context often has tones of social debate or is rooted in history)
-for Plato, the context is during a period of radical humanism
-radical humanism: The human mind has a conflict in itself. It will either give in to an authority or ask questions. In order for a
society to thrive it should follow the latter path.
-a period during which the Sophists taught rhetoric: taught how to win arguments in a way in which the
atual truth alue proed irreleat koledge ithout truth
-whe huas egi to e ale to hoose their truth skeptiis ill arise: ie does oe aept or rejet the
conception of god, or of religion on a whole
-politial hage as also ourrig: ay hages to the fae of deoray, ad differig eliefs o what
exactly democracy should include and preclude
-radical humanism dominates today, making Platonic works highly relevant: the human determines their
truth
-sophism abound: advertising is a type of sophism (does not matter what you say so long as you make it
convincing; likewise with writing papersoften about how you say it, not what you say
Philosophy from the beginning: The Republic begins immediately with speech; the colon right after Socrates name makes the
work immersive—it laks a true itrodutio, suh as a thesis or positio
-piece begins with a story/ line of thought
-uses images/motifs: interplay between being down and up—ie “orates ats to head up to Athes, ut this ill lead to
more descent
-port imagery: first scene involves religious celebration/worship at the port/pier: a port being a place where new things arrive,
an image/symbol for the arrival of new ideas
HISTORY AND CONTEXT FOR THE REPUBLIC
The Republic is encyclopediac, addressing in great depth and with wide reach the domains and spheres of philosophy, from
education, to ethics, to politics, and beyond. Among the fundamental questions to ask in reading the text is why Plato deemed all
these topics essential to the question of the just.
About a third of the The Republic is dedicated to a fierce criticism of Athenian poets and their mythologies - why would a book
about justice dedicate so much attention to art? For a book ostensibly about politics, why spend so much time talking about
education? The Republic, which heavily criticizes myth, ends with a myth of its own known as the “Myth of Er” what are we to
make of this and how does this shape our understanding of Plato’s critique of mythology and the success of Socrates and his
interlocutors in responding to Thraysmachus’ challenge?
Some Important Events
All dates are BCE (before common era).
c. 470: Socrates born
431: Peloponnesian War between Athens and Sparta begins
430/29: Plague in Athens kills approximately 1/4 of the population
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
James Schall on Plato: why is his work still worth studying? Even if some arguments lack “sophistication” what makes it good philosophy? 1)Plato’s writing produces more truth than falsity 2)The actual practice of Platonic philosophy: what makes the dialogue (main speaker + interlocutors) attractive as a format? -philosophy is brought to life—you are immersed in the action/ ie the speaker addresses as “you” -a drama, not a declarative treatise; includes themes, imagery, motifs, can prove more interesting to read even in non philosophical discussions The Republic will provide a concept of philosophy: how do we define it? What constitutes practicing it? -for every philosopher they write within a context even if they make their arguments out of context like Descartes does (context often has tones of social debate or is rooted in history) -for Plato, the context is during a period of radical humanism -radical humanism: The human mind has a conflict in itself. It will either give in to an authority or ask questions. In order for a society to thrive it should follow the latter path. -a period during which the Sophists taught rhetoric: taught how to win arguments in a way in which the actual truth value proved irrelevant “knowledge without truth” -when humans begin to be able to “choose their truth” skepticism will arise: ie does one accept or reject the conception of god, or of religion on a whole -political change was also occurring: many changes to the “face” of democracy, and differing beliefs on what exactly democracy should include and preclude -radical humanism dominates today, making Platonic works highly relevant: the human determines their truth -sophism abound: advertising is a type of sophism (does not matter what you say so long as you make it convincing; likewise with writing papers—often about how you say it, not what you say Philosophy from the beginning: The Republic begins immediately with speech; the colon right after Socrates name makes the work immersive—it lacks a “true introduction”, such as a thesis or position -piece begins with a story/ line of thought -uses images/motifs: interplay between being down and up—ie Socrates wants to head “up” to Athens, but this will lead to more descent -port imagery: first scene involves religious celebration/worship at the port/pier: a port being a place where new things arrive, an image/symbol for the arrival of new ideas H
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit