SOCI-225 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Partial Defence, W. M. Keck Observatory, Mens Rea

37 views3 pages
16 Jan 2017
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

The federal body decides on criminal laws and procedures; substantive law refers to the actual. Crime: conduct that is prohibited by law and that is subject to a penal sanction such as prison time or a fine; in canada all crimes are contained in statutes such as the criminal code. Police and gvmt officials are required to enforce the law regardless of their private views or affiliations. Many are political issues: ie the sanctity of life and physician assisted death. Criminal law: a body of jurisprudence that defines crimes, the penalties, and sets of principles regarding criminal responsibility and possible defences. 1)indictable offences (most serious) 2)summary convictions and 3) hybrid/mixed convictions (can be tried as either 1 or 2) Quasicriminal law: under the constitution act, provincial power has control over health, education, hu(cid:374)ti(cid:374)g, fishi(cid:374)g et(cid:272) a(cid:374)d (cid:272)a(cid:374) i(cid:373)pose fi(cid:374)es a(cid:374)d i(cid:373)priso(cid:374)(cid:373)e(cid:374)t; it is (cid:374)ot (cid:862)real(cid:863) (cid:272)ri(cid:373)i(cid:374)al law (cid:271)e(cid:272)ause it la(cid:272)ks element 3 of being injurious to all canadians.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers