SOCI-225 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Labeling Theory, Social Stigma, Symbolic Interactionism

52 views3 pages
Class #8 Ch 13 May 11, 2018
Symbolic Interactionism:
George Mead (Chicago School - 93s : Looking Glass Self
Perspective that focuses on how people interpret social situations and interpret the meaning of
these situations with others. People will behave towards things based on the meaning that those
things have for them, based on experience and social interactions. (Not genetic make-up or
personal characteristics)
- Sees individuals as actively creating their social world rather than just acting within the
bounds of culture/structure all based on the consequences of interpersonal relationships.
- People have control over what they show society. If everyone thinks I suck, I guess I should
show them how much I suck.
The Labelling Theory:
Tannenbarm Late 3s Lemert s Becker and Goffman s:
The labelling theory often stigmatizes people, and further perpetuates their behaviour. (If someone
thinks you are always the problem, even if it isnt you then you show them how much of a problem
you can be)
If a label is not applied to criminal actions, it is seen as primary deviance (Symptomatic and
situational) Only works if this behaviour falls and remains within the realm of experience and
does not alter the way the youth sees themselves as a person.
Primary Deviance Stealing out of the bulk barn bin, and eating the candy as opposed to murder
which would be secondary deviance.
Secondary Deviance Negative behaviours that are labelled that you cant escape it, shifts the way
the youth sees themselves as a person. Youth then accept this label, and they become conditioned to
re-commit the behaviour. (Sex offender even if they only peed in public)
- Many people are less likely to rehabilitate back into society because no one is allowing you
to be anything but the label.
Master Status Determines the communities identification of an individual.
Moral Rhetoric:
Once you have a master status you create a set of claims and assertions that as a deviant they make
to justify their deviant behaviour. (Cognitive distortions)
- The moral rhetoric of a groups is an important component of socialization into a deviant
identity. (Gang mentality, Soldier going into war to kill people)
Stigma:
A characteristic of an individuals that is seen as a negative characteristic by others and this results
in distortions and discredits the public identity of the person. (People with mental health issues
often receive social stigma) May adopt this negative social evaluation. )f you cant beat them,
join them)
Agents of Social Control: The members of society who help check deviant behaviour. (Police,
lawmakers, judges, prison personnel) Can extend to parents, teachers, and anyone else in a
position of authority.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Class #8 ch 13 may 11, 2018. George mead (chicago school - (cid:883)93(cid:882)(cid:495)s(cid:524) : (cid:523)looking glass self(cid:524) Symbolic interactionism: show them how much i suck. People have control over what they show society. If everyone thinks i suck, i guess i should. Perspective that focuses on how people interpret social situations and interpret the meaning of these situations with others. People will behave towards things based on the meaning that those things have for them, based on experience and social interactions. (not genetic make-up or personal characteristics) Sees individuals as actively creating their social world rather than just acting within the. The labelling theory often stigmatizes people, and further perpetuates their behaviour. (if someone you can be) If a label is not applied to criminal actions, it is seen as primary deviance (symptomatic and bounds of culture/structure all based on the consequences of interpersonal relationships.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers