ANAT 315 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Churchill Livingstone, Costal Cartilage

111 views20 pages

Document Summary

Anat 315: anatomy of the limbs and back. True ribs (i-vii): direct insertion to sternum via costal cartilage. False ribs (viii-x): indirect insertion on to sternum via costal margin. Floating ribs (xi-xii): no insertion on to sternum. 3 articulation surfaces: costal cartilage (anterior, head of the rib (posterior, tubercle of the rib (posterior) Atypical ribs of the thoracic cage: atypical ribs ribs i, ii, x, xi, xii. Grooves: only articulate with 1 vertebral bone, no tubercles or necks, short. Rib xii: ribs i, xi, xii only articulate with the vertebra at its own level. Anterior joints: between rib and sternum: costochondral: solid, synchondrosis joint. Exception: 1st rib synchrondrosis: interchondral: between costal cartilages of false ribs. Blue and yellow arrows denote fiber direction muscle contraction occurs in the opposite direction of these arrows. Body of the sternum & xiphoid process to ribs 2-6. Blue arrows denote fiber direction muscle contraction occurs in the opposite direction of these arrows.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers