ANSC 433 Lecture Notes - Lecture 17: Canadian Food Inspection Agency, Ractopamine, Virginiamycin

32 views4 pages
17. ANSC 433: Animal Nutrition & Metabolism 1
Feedstuffs Non-nutritive Additives
Feed Additives: Regulatory Aspects
- Non-nutritive substances, in small amounts, in feeds used to:
o Iproe/aitai produtiit utritioal use
o Iproe/aitai health ediial use
- Regulatory classification:
o Drugs
o Miroial feeds
o GRA“ (general recognized as safe) products
- Classed as: drugs, meds or substances intended for prevention of certain diseases
- Add drug = medicated feed
- In Canada, products consumed by livestock species are largely regulated as either veterinary drugs or livestock feeds
o Veterinary drugs are regulated under the Food and Drugs Act and Regulations by Health Canada
o Livestock feeds are regulated under the Feeds Act and Regulations, which are administered by the Canadian Food
Inspection Agency (CFIA)
- The CFIA verifies that livestock feeds manufactured and sold in Canada or imported are safe, effective and are labelled
appropriately
Compendium of Medicating Ingredient Brochures
- The Compendium of Medicating Ingredient Brochures (CMIB) lists those medicating ingredients permitted to be added to
livestock feed in Canada
- The document specifies:
o Species of livestock, level of medication, directions for feeding and purpose for which each medicating ingredient
may legally be used
o Brand of each medicating ingredient
- All medicated feed in Canada must adhere to the specifications of the CMIB
- Feeds prepared aordig to eteriaria’s presriptio are eept
Individual Medicating Ingredient Brochures
- Idiidual Mediatig Igrediet Brohures MIB’s) refer to a specific drug or specific combination of drugs used in feed
medication
- The information in each MIB is organized into three sections:
o An introductory profile of the medicating ingredient
o The specifications to follow for each claim which the medicating ingredient is permitted to be used
o The listing of accepted compatibilities for that particular medicating ingredient
- Examples (links on slide):
o Ractopamine hydrochloride
o Monensin sodium
o Virginiamycin
Examples of Approved Medicated Ingredients in Canada
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Non-nutritive substances, in small amounts, in feeds used to: Regulatory classification: drugs (cid:862)mi(cid:272)ro(cid:271)ial feeds(cid:863) (cid:862)gra (cid:863) (general recognized as safe) products. Classed as: drugs, meds or substances intended for prevention of certain diseases. In canada, products consumed by livestock species are largely regulated as either veterinary drugs or livestock feeds: veterinary drugs are regulated under the food and drugs act and regulations by health canada. Livestock feeds are regulated under the feeds act and regulations, which are administered by the canadian food. The cfia verifies that livestock feeds manufactured and sold in canada or imported are safe, effective and are labelled appropriately. The compendium of medicating ingredient brochures (cmib) lists those medicating ingredients permitted to be added to livestock feed in canada. Species of livestock, level of medication, directions for feeding and purpose for which each medicating ingredient may legally be used. All medicated feed in canada must adhere to the specifications of the cmib.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers